Shooting tube in the ground

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Peterla

Shooting tube in the ground

#1 Postby Peterla » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,

I have heard about a tube that can be buried into the ground to fire form cases or even run in a barrel.
I assume it is a steel pipe filled with sand or something similar to absorb the projectile.
Has anyone got any idea on the construction of this and how much sound would be heard from a 223.
I live in a semi rural area so hoping I can build one for the above mentioned purposes.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peter

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Peter,

QRA has one at the zero range, built pretty much as you guessed. It's made of a length of old 6 inch cast iron waste pipe with the flange end uppermost & protrudes about hip high out of the ground.

The mouth of the pipe has been fitted with a heavy rubber gasket with about a fist size hole central in it. It acts as both a sound moderator & a means to protect the barrel from the pipe during recoil.

The net result is not much more sound than the worst of us breaking wind.

I imagine that the full length of the pipe under ground level has been filled with sand or the like.

Incidentally, you might be surprised how little noise ensues when you fire off a rifle into the ground with the muzzle 20-50 mm clear of it. Without that sonic crack & with the powder stream dissipated by the dirt, it's very little. Fold an old blanket & toss it on the ground to protect the barrel from crud & they'll never know. Just keep clear of buried treasure & public utilities.

John

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 pm

johnk wrote:....The net result is not much more sound than the worst of us breaking wind....

That's an interesting way of specifying the design. Did that originate in South Australia?

Fireman_DJ

#4 Postby Fireman_DJ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Another design uses a large diameter pipe cut in half with a second pipe running into the first at right angles.

The two halves of the pipe are offset slightly, leaving a gap where the bullet can enter. As it hits in the inside of the pipe, the bullet follows the curve. When it hits the end of the first half, it flies "straight" into the curve of the second half.

The cycle repeats until the bullet runs out of steam, then it falls out the bottom gap.

Peterla

#5 Postby Peterla » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks John,

All I have to do know is find out how long I should make the 6inch pipe and dig a hole.
The rubber idea shounds fantastic and I will use this setup.
Thanks for your prompt answer

Peter

Return to “Equipment & Technical”