Rifle holding Rack for bullbar information

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Peterla

Rifle holding Rack for bullbar information

#1 Postby Peterla » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi.
I currently shoot fclass with my son and have been for about 1 year.
Really good sport.
I only have a small area in the back of my car and I would like to make a rack to clip onto my bull bar to hold the rifles for cleaning at the range.

Has anyone got and photos or descriptions of anything like this.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Fireman_DJ

#2 Postby Fireman_DJ » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Never seen or heard of such a thing, but anything is possible.
What type of car is it? I assume a 4x4, does it have barn doors with the spare tyre mounted on the back?

There are ready made folding "steps" that go over tyres. Meant to be used for gaining access to the roof racks, but could be placed on the rear door spare tyre to turn into a table. Some wood bolted onto that with groves cut out could hold the rifle and have some spare room for clearing gear, the bolt etc.

For the bull bar mount, you could buy some large wall hooks (ie, the type people hang push bikes from) to fit over your bull bar. They can be screwed into either a wood frame or a bit of ply-board.

The hooks will hold the top into the bar and the entire unit up. The bottom of the frame or ply will push into the bull bar and stay there. Simple in design and I know of that style design being used as ladders into early military aircraft.

Some sort of hinged frame to hold the rifle would complete it and allow it to be compact for transport.

Another option to think about would be a false floor in the back of your car, sitting on extending rollers. Press a small catch and the entire floor rolls out of the car. Or, have a false floor sitting above the sliding surface. So everything in your car stays put, but you almost double your working area.

I've never been good at designing things using only words over the internet and I tend to build based on the image in my head, but hopefully I've inspired you enough,

bartman007

#3 Postby bartman007 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Hello Peterla,

I have seen a few different bolt on devices for holding the rifle when you want to clean it.

Basically they have a channel just wider than the stock, and they put padding in it so as not to mark the stock. As the rifle balances in front of the action, then you will find it sits in the foot long channel fine.

Then all you have to do is weld a bit of pipe to it, and fix it to your tow ball, or in your case just bolt the channel onto the bull bar.

The handy thing with having it on the tow bar, is that you can put all your cleaning gear in the boot, out of the wind and rain. Of course the cleaning fluid nicely drips onto the ground :-)

Be careful of the spray you get when you use your brush!!! Put a cloth on the car at the muzzle end.

Cheers,
Bartman.

Peterla

#4 Postby Peterla » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the comments.
As I drive a 4wd with a spare tire on the rear door the door step might be the best option.
I think I will by a tire step and take off the step and create a rifle holder in its place.
I can then do it on my back door with some sort of container over the end to stop the splash onto the paint work.

Thanks for all the ideas they proved to be very useful.

Pete

Return to “Equipment & Technical”