Die & press ???'s

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

flatlina

Die & press ???'s

#1 Postby flatlina » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 am

What dies and presses do the majority of F Class shooters on here use? Especially the ones that travel to matches that you have to fly to. Don't think you could take all the ammo you would need. I was going to order a Redding Comp neck die set and tin bushings, $210 USD and bushings $23 USD each from Sinclairs. So with two bushings it is $256 USD plus post. The other option is to buy the Sinclair Arbor Press kit with micrometer dies for $270 USD. I already load for a lot of calibres and have a Dillon 550, Simplex Master turrent and a modified Lee LoadMaster. Plus a Single stage RCBS. The next press will be a Forster Co-Ax to replace a couple of the above.
Another question is what powder throwers are used the most to load at home and at the Ranges? I have a C&H thrower and an RCBS Chargemaster.

Regards
john

Brad Y

#2 Postby Brad Y » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am

I load mine at home and carry the ammo if need be.

Lyman crusher press, hornady lock n load benchrest thrower, RCBS electronic scales and a hornady hand trickler. I use redding body dies and lee collet neck dies, with either forster or redding micrometer seaters. Plus I use the RCBS precision mic to set dies up correctly.

Seddo

#3 Postby Seddo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:04 am

i have a mixture of dies. Lee Collet, Hornady, Redding and well as Wilson in line ones. If i was to load away from my place i would go with wilson as they are easy to transport and you dont need to bolt them down to a bench to load.

I use a chargemaster for all my loads. I picked up a Hornady LNL powder measure but i havent used it yet. i dont think i will use it for comp loads.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

DaveMc

#4 Postby DaveMc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:20 am

Hi John, Not quite sure of the direction of the question as you seem to have more than enough gear (ie are you after recommendations or just conducting a survey?) Anyway this is what I have.....wouldn't be for everone though.

On Dies - I make my own. FL dies cut from PT&G blanks with a resizing reamer (decapping stems from Sinclair) then turn my necks down to give correct neck tension. I make sleeves for redding and forster dies for seating as well using chamber reamer so they match brass and load very straight. And also neck sizing sleeves for redding comp dies with bushings (once again chamber reamer) but I tend to only use them for load development (working out neck tensions) as the FL dies tend to load straighter. With all barrels matched for headspace a FL die also allows me to use all brass in all barrels if necessary.

On presses I use a Rockchucker for sizing and at end of bench have a lee challenger press for seating with a short handle. I like the extra feel this light press gives me on seating and with the home made dies matched to brass (FL sleeves) and chamber everything tends to be very straight and less reliant on press quality. If I have to fly to queens I don't take the loading gear and carry just enough ammo and one rifle but of course when things aren't quite right for local conditions you have to wear the consequences. If I drive I will take the rockchucker with me.

Powder thrower I use a cheap one but weigh my charges on a lab scale I have here (throw and trickle up on very accurate scales - just got an omega trickler and highly recommend them to EVERYBODY.) I am looking for a cheap small set of scales to travel with and am thinking of the gempro 250. By all reports these are quite good.

Cheers,
Dave

flatlina

#5 Postby flatlina » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm just debating wether to buy the Redding dies or the Sinclair press kit with Wilson dies. There is not a lot of difference in price and if I was to travel for a shoot this would be a better option. I realise I would need a body die at some stage. Also what about measuring powder at away shoots. Being from Darwin it will nearly always involve flying to get there. For instance how many rounds would you need to compete in say the lead up and Queens at say Anzac.

Regards
john

DaveMc

#6 Postby DaveMc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:51 am

OK now I understand.

You can fly with 5kg of ammo so for my 284 Shehane that is around 170-180 rounds and just enough for many queens. 308 will get you around 200 and 6BR something like 250-300. For Big 300WSM 210 grainers you might not get enough in. For some big shoots such as the Mackay Queens combined with leadup, Mackay OPM and Teams afterwards you may need many more rounds than you can carry (5-600) and of course have to take loading gear (We will help out here for those that need). But sometimes you have to argue with the airport staff as to what "gross" and "net weight" of ammo means (ie does it include case - I just reply - "do you want me to pack em in paper or this sturdy, hard container - same weight of ammo but packed much better." This normally wins the battle). Generally not too bad if you have already booked on through the qantas system for Jetstar and Qantas and also prepay for enough extra baggage. It is highly likely you can borrow a press from someone if you do decide to carry loading gear, allowing you to just carry the dies. In this case the standard redding dies are good although the point above about not needing the press is a valid one for Wilson dies (although a bit tedious if you have to do 600 rounds)

For travelling powder scales have a look at the GEMPRO 250 and trickler and simple scoop to get you close (rather than a thrower). This will all be very compact and light and runs on bartteries and very quick to load with. Sinclair have another reasonable one on their site too but go for something that can weight to 0.02 grains. Beware though - travelling with Powder is harder than loaded rounds so you will need to ensure you can get the same batch of powder at destination.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to “Equipment & Technical”