'Heavy Sand' for rear bag???

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bully_eye

'Heavy Sand' for rear bag???

#1 Postby bully_eye » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Seen reference to zircon sand and garnet sand for filling rear bags. I know Sinclairs sell Zircon sand but 15lbs of shipping cost makes it not exactly prohibitive but a little stupid. I believe they use garnet sand for sand blasting. Where can I get it from being that I doubt you can buy either at Bunnings and I'm only after a few kg's?

Thanks,
Michael

ps I'm in the Sydney area if anyone has a contact. BTW had a parcel shipped from Sinclairs recently of reloading tools (measuring tools :wink: ) 2 1/2 business days door to door by US Postal Service.

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Hi Michael

Another option, one that we use, is glass beads of the type used in beadblasting cabinets by mechanics for cleaning engine parts. I don't know if this is of any more help than the other but there are more mechanics out there than sandblasters, you may be able to find someone who will sell you a few kilos. We have lots of it but as you have said the shipping is prohibitive so thats of no use to you, we are a bit far away. :(

Lynn

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 pm

I got mine from a boat building yard. They use tonnes of garnet for blasting the boats hulls.

RAVEN

#4 Postby RAVEN » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi Bulley_eye
have a look in the yellow page under sand blasting supplies and or equipment if they dont stock it they could tell U who does :)
Cheers
RB

Cameron Mc

#5 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Mine came from local Powder Coaters. Should be plenty to choose from in the Sydney area I would imagine.

Hope this helps, Cameron

bully_eye

#6 Postby bully_eye » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:27 am

Thanks for the responses. I've always just used 'sand pit' type normal sand but figured I should look into something different. Think I may have a contact in the boat building business so I might just have to give him call.

Michael

bobeager

Heavy Sand

#7 Postby bobeager » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:24 pm

"SUPERCHEAP" Auto shops sell the stuff - not expensive I think from memory about $15 for a "gallon" size bottle.

bully_eye

#8 Postby bully_eye » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:58 pm

Thanks Bob.

Michael

ps you can tell I'm desperate for something to do while I wait for my new rifle to be built.... filling sand bags, uniforming primer pockets on brass that isn't even mine with my new primer pocket uniformer. Just got a delivery from Sinclairs and I'm already planning the next- love their catalogue. Gotta be careful to leave some cash for projectiles and powder when the time comes.

RAVEN

#9 Postby RAVEN » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:30 pm

I use beach sand in my rear bag it isnt as heavy as the stuff U are sourcing but the sand I have is very fine and moulds well
Cheers
RB :)

bully_eye

#10 Postby bully_eye » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:24 pm

Used beach sand in the past and have been happy with the results but that doesn't mean there isn't a better way to do it. Certainly can't hurt to have a denser material although I'm still considering using beach sand in the ears and the heavy sand in the base.

Michael

bruce moulds

#11 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:00 pm

hi,
lynn's sand in my bag leaked badly through the stitching, & in the end i went back to beach or dried sand, as it packed better, & did not end up in my gear bag.
raven was right.
bruce.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”