What's proper technique for using bipod in f class?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

slzagrodnik

What's proper technique for using bipod in f class?

#1 Postby slzagrodnik » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:58 am

I tested loads for my rifle with the new sinclair bipod off the bench at the range with no problem. When I went to the 300 yd. line on damp grass in prone with the bipod to get use to the bipod I was shooting a 4-6" groups with my barnard action 308win rifle with match grade ammo. With my Sako hunting rifle I could get 2" groups at 300 yds prone with a harris bipod. Could you explain the technique to get consistent groups off the sinclair/ similar bipod. My called shots did not match the vertical/ horizontal movement I saw on the target. I shoot expert in XTC for service rifle with iron sights. Do I lean into the sinclair? what about cheek pressure on the stock. I pulled the palm grip back into my shoulder. Tried to let it divide pressure between the rear bag and the stock into my shoulder. I like the new sinclair but can't figure out proper technique. Please help.

Southcape

#2 Postby Southcape » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:41 am

Are you left or right handed?

When you say vertical/ horizontal movement, where were the shots landing on the target?

Did you have anything under your bipod?
Linda

slzagrodnik

#3 Postby slzagrodnik » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:40 pm

Right handed shooter but use to shooting service rifle with a sling. So half of my chest would be off the ground so as not to add breathing into vertical dispersion when firing prone. No I didn't have anything under the bipod. In all of the pics I see in Target Shooter Magazine I see shooter laying flat behind the rifle which is not natural to me based on previous shooting. Also not familar with having a rear bag for the rifle to rest on. For XTC vertical dispersion would be if I didn't place the rifle buttstock in the same place into my shoulder. Horizontal dispersion would be if I didn't have a good natural point of aim and tried to muscle the rifle. Also shots were on target- I was using 4" red dots on cardboard but couldn't shoot better than 4-6" group. Wind was not a factor or changing light conditions. I'm good at calling my shots at the time of trigger pull.Thanks again and have a Happy New Year. Going to the range tomorrow weather in Chicago area will be around 47* F--not a typical December without snow.

Seddo

#4 Postby Seddo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:54 pm

all of the people i have seen use a rubber matt or a bit of carpet to make them track well.

I got back from rosedale at it was just over 90F. I dont think i woudl like shooting in the snow.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Fireman_DJ

#5 Postby Fireman_DJ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Norm who also came to Rosedale today had issues shooting a bi-pod. He found in the end that he had to shoot it free recoil to be accurate and not loaded up like most bi-pods.

I personally don't want to use anything "extra" to shoot. My F-Class rifle is also a field hunting rifle (close-medium range until I can hit the centre first time every time). I want to shoot it exactly as I will in the field so bi-pod only, no rear rest, shooting mat is optional etc.

Depending on the bi-pod, you can get replaceable feet to suit hard surfaces like concrete, soft surfaces like sand or normal surfaces like grass.
The Atlas has these. And from what I hear are very easy to change in the field.

(Btw, after having a feel of Seddo's Atlas bi-pod today, I find myself looking for more money to spend)

Barry Davies

#6 Postby Barry Davies » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:20 pm

If you seriously want good scores in F Class, free recoil ( which means a rear sandbag and sliding feet on the bipod ) is virtually a must. It does'nt take much to change from a target set up to a field set up.

Barry

Norm

#7 Postby Norm » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:41 pm

I find that a lot depends on how ridgid the forend is.
With my H-S and Gery Bull stocks I can load up the Bi-Pod and get good scores.
With a plastic stock with some contact with the barrel or even if it is just a thin forend the point of impact will be all over the place with variations in hold. This is where you must adapt to the rifle and get use to its quirks.
Interesting subject and every rifle seems to be slightly different.

Barry Davies

#8 Postby Barry Davies » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:04 am

Plastic stocks are for hunting rifles. Dedicated F Class Rifles with dedicated F Class stocks don't have any " quirks "

Barry

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:15 am

I believe Harris type bipods are quite popular in F/TR. No doubt they can be used very effectively. I've seen them win in top company in F-Open.

Alan

Barry Davies

#10 Postby Barry Davies » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:06 am

As F/TR is not shot in this country ( apart from MR ) you would have to be referring to some other country. It was not until the first Aus FO team went to the US some years ago that the rest of the world was aware that something other than a Harris existed ( ah la Larkin bipod ) I cannot remember a Harris being part of a winning combination in FO in Aus? -- certainly not in recent years.
F/TR was formulated using Harris Bipods -- things have changed somewhat since then, -- have yet to see any of the top FS or FO shooters in Aus using Harris bipods - or plastic stocks.

Barry

Quick

#11 Postby Quick » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Personally, and I'm new to F-Class but have been shooting bipods for a few years, use whatever technique works best for you. Try many different styles but at the end of the day, if it works for you and you shoot good with it. You have your answer. No one else can fault you if your happy and you shoot well with it. I shoot around the 57/60 mark and its my wind reading more then my bipod that causes my shots to go off the super V.

On the issues of "plastic" stocks, a well built McMillan, Manners, Wild Dog, etc will work just as good as a wooden stock IMO. I have a McM A5 on my 308 and a Manners T2A on the way for my 30-338LM Imp.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Southcape

#12 Postby Southcape » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:04 pm

slzagrodnik wrote:Right handed shooter but use to shooting service rifle with a sling. So half of my chest would be off the ground so as not to add breathing into vertical dispersion when firing prone. No I didn't have anything under the bipod. In all of the pics I see in Target Shooter Magazine I see shooter laying flat behind the rifle which is not natural to me based on previous shooting. Also not familar with having a rear bag for the rifle to rest on. For XTC vertical dispersion would be if I didn't place the rifle buttstock in the same place into my shoulder. Horizontal dispersion would be if I didn't have a good natural point of aim and tried to muscle the rifle. Also shots were on target- I was using 4" red dots on cardboard but couldn't shoot better than 4-6" group. Wind was not a factor or changing light conditions. I'm good at calling my shots at the time of trigger pull.Thanks again and have a Happy New Year. Going to the range tomorrow weather in Chicago area will be around 47* F--not a typical December without snow.

Cheek pressure does make a difference. Most F Class shooters in AU shoot with their cheeks off the stock to remove this variable.

Trigger control is also important. Remember to squeeze the trigger, do pull it.

I would also look at putting carpet or rubber matting under your bipod, to create more consistent tracking.

Does your rifle remain on target once your shot has been fired? If it does, then there is nothing wrong with your position.

Stab in the dark here... I may be wrong.
Is the rifle you are using the same as you were using in Target Rifle? If so, you may be using the same loads? You may need to fine tune your loads to create a smaller group?
Last edited by Southcape on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Linda

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Barry Davies wrote:As F/TR is not shot in this country ( apart from MR ) you would have to be referring to some other country. It was not until the first Aus FO team went to the US some years ago that the rest of the world was aware that something other than a Harris existed ( ah la Larkin bipod ) I cannot remember a Harris being part of a winning combination in FO in Aus? -- certainly not in recent years.
F/TR was formulated using Harris Bipods -- things have changed somewhat since then, -- have yet to see any of the top FS or FO shooters in Aus using Harris bipods - or plastic stocks.

Barry

Barry,

Canberra leadup 2005 - probably the biggest field ever in that event, including Peake, Paroz etc. Steve Southwell won using a Harris bipod. They are rarely used I agree, but if they were used more often, they would get their share of success.

Alan

RDavies

#14 Postby RDavies » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:17 am

If you are shooting a light weight rifle with a Harris bipod, free recoil is not real good. My F/STD rifle at the moment is a 2.8 kg Remington hunting rifle which definitely prefers a hard hold and digging the feet in a bit to preload the Harris bipod to get. Might be luck, but my highest scores and smallest groups this year were with this rifle and harris.
My new F-TR / F-STD rifle will be up and going soon, so I hope to be trying free recoil with a heavier rifle and proper Davies style bipod soon as so many 308 shooters are really hammering in Australia with this combination.
Last edited by RDavies on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry Davies

#15 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:03 am

Speculation Alan.
However lets make them compulsory and then they would win everything. :lol:
Maybe we are all doing it wrong.
Maybe you should use one. :lol:
When F/TR finally gets its arse off the ground we will then see.
Rod said it pretty well.
Barry

Return to “Equipment & Technical”