Bedding

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Southcape

#16 Postby Southcape » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:04 pm

My Eliseo tube stock does not use bedding.
Linda

Quick

#17 Postby Quick » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:52 pm

I have used McMillan and HS stocks, havent bedded either one and they have both shot under 0.25MOA at 100m and give me great accuracy.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Woody_rod

#18 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Quick wrote:I have used McMillan and HS stocks, havent bedded either one and they have both shot under 0.25MOA at 100m and give me great accuracy.
\
Hey mate,

Now that you have shot at rimfire distance, try your group at 1000y and see how it goes :x :x :x

Quick

#19 Postby Quick » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:17 am

Tryed my 175gr load at 1000yds and scored a 57, went very well. seemed to group quite well too. Ive gotten under 0.5MOA at 400m with both stock and no bedding aswell when shooting the 400m Fly.

I just Torque to 65in/lbs with both stocks and away I go.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

IanP

#20 Postby IanP » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 am

Quick wrote:I have used McMillan and HS stocks, havent bedded either one and they have both shot under 0.25MOA at 100m and give me great accuracy.

I have found that if my rifle can give 1/4 MOA groups at 100m then its a "shooter" and it will perform at 1000yds and every range in between. Dont worry about Woody's comments about it being otherwise.

I'm building a new F T/R rifle (already have 2 that qualify based on Model P actions) which will be built around a Barnard SM (repeater)action. This action will drop into a Manners stock fitted with their mini-chassis mounting system. This is a V block style mount and requires zero bedding for Rem 700 style actions.

I am guessing the McMillan comes with custom pillar mounts for your action and requires zero bedding. I prefer V blocks only because they appear so strong and are connected mounting hole to mounting hole in the one piece of aluminium.

My new F T/R rifle will become my competition gun complete in a camouflage composite Manners stock with mini-chassis mounting system. Will work equally hunting or in Queen's competitions. I think F T/R with the right components is a do it all class although not necessarily cheap by a long shot. If the Action and barrel ever turn up (hows its going Keith?) I'll assemble it and find out just how competitive a tactical set-up can be in the F T/R discipline.

Ian

Quick

#21 Postby Quick » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 am

Ian,

My McM stock is not pillar bedded either. Its just dropped in. The CNC machining of the inlet is so precise that bedding isnt needed IMO. My HS stock has a alloy bedding block in it.

My rifle is a Tactical rifle really and competes fine. Its just the shooter (me) that needs to get better. The only thing Im going to change is my optics, going to upgrade to a 5.5-22x50 NXS Mil/Mil MLR ZS Hi-Speed for a tad more mag. That could change but when the shooting season starts up again.

Im going to build a dedicated F/TR rifle on my old Omark action I have.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Simon C

#22 Postby Simon C » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:40 am

I have my Fstd rifle (blueprinted Rem 700 with oversized recoil lug) in a McMillan stock - the fit between the action bearing surfaces and the aluminium internal chassis is great. Both action screws are torqued to 65 in/lbs and the gun shoots 1/4MOA elevation at 300m off a Harris bipod without additional skim bedding. Nothing wrong with the McMillan stock bedding system.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Return to “Equipment & Technical”