Bedding

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Bedding

#1 Postby Brad Y » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Whats the current preferred flavour? Using a V block or pillars and glass?

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 am

Brad,

My latest is a barrel clamp.

Advantages are that it takes the load off the action and thread, and effectively makes the barrel shorter and stiffer.

Disadvantages are that switching barrels is a 10 minute (rather than 2 minute) job, and that the clamp assembly adds some weight. I'm looking at making a low cost clamp so each barrel keeps one for life, which is attached to the stock by just two bolts. I use a metal stock, currently RHS steel, but next one will be machined aluminium.

Alan

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:10 am

Brad,

I've never seen the point of pillars except maybe weight saving. I've always been inclined to sink a full length aluminium block into the stock to give it stiffness as well as compression resistance.

Alan,

Does the block impact on scope height much?

Is there any perceived effect on handling?

John

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:34 am

johnk wrote:...Does the block impact on scope height much?
A little - I'm intending to get some higher (by about 5mm) scope rails for my Barnards so I can return to using Leupold QRW rings - currently using high Burris. I don't have a problem with a high mounted scope, because I don't rest my cheek.

johnk wrote:...Is there any perceived effect on handling?
The steel stock is different of course - very stiff. The barrel clamp moves the centre of mass forward noticeably, but with the 7mm that's a good thing to keep the muzzle down.

Alan

Woody_rod

#5 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:37 pm

AlanF wrote:The barrel clamp moves the centre of mass forward noticeably, but with the 7mm that's a good thing to keep the muzzle down.

Alan

Really? From my testing, I found that the rifle has to be balanced on the rests for it to shoot correctly. Some top shooters also say the same thing, to the point where it is more important than a parallel profile barrel.

The instantaneous impulse from recoil will override any minor perceived benefit from a heavy muzzle - it may even cause other issues.

Woody_rod

#6 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm

To answer the thread question: I prefer a solid mounting such as V block for the action. Dont undestand why it would be any different in height from any other bedding system. The bedding height is dictated by the location of the trigger blade under the stock, not much else has an impact on it.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Woody_rod wrote:
AlanF wrote:The barrel clamp moves the centre of mass forward noticeably, but with the 7mm that's a good thing to keep the muzzle down.

Alan

Really? From my testing, I found that the rifle has to be balanced on the rests for it to shoot correctly. Some top shooters also say the same thing, to the point where it is more important than a parallel profile barrel.

The instantaneous impulse from recoil will override any minor perceived benefit from a heavy muzzle - it may even cause other issues.

You could be right Rod. I'm treating this stock as a prototype only. But it still puts a reasonable amount of weight on the rear bag, and I'm not getting vertical.

Alan
Last edited by AlanF on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chopper

#8 Postby Chopper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Ime bedded on WOOD still, and like to tune my rifle with tensions , :wink: , Dont laugh some bed on Rubber, go work it out, V block or rubber ??? :roll: something not many put thought into, it can be the diff between a good barrel and a bad one, a good scope or a bad one, or ime buggered if I know, GREAT TOPIC, does any one check tensions in the hottest part of the day for tensions with a V block ?,Ive known of thread damage because of this, shot well this morning dont know what happened after lunch, :shock: Chop.

Woody_rod

#9 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Is the drw to scale? If so, the forend look very short. The simple fix for balance is to extend the forend further fwd. My own FO stock is much longer at the front than a std stock, so the balance point is centered between the front and rear bags.

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Woody_rod wrote:Is the drw to scale? If so, the forend look very short. The simple fix for balance is to extend the forend further fwd. My own FO stock is much longer at the front than a std stock, so the balance point is centered between the front and rear bags.

Yes it should be to scale. The aluminium angle "prongs" are actually about 60mm longer (measured from the action) than my other stock (Mastin F Class). I use barrels up to 32". The fore-end may appear shorter because the main steel part finishes at the clamp.

Alan

Woody_rod

#11 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:51 pm

Chopper wrote:Ime bedded on WOOD still, and like to tune my rifle with tensions , :wink: , Dont laugh some bed on Rubber, go work it out, V block or rubber ??? :roll: something not many put thought into, it can be the diff between a good barrel and a bad one, a good scope or a bad one, or ime buggered if I know, GREAT TOPIC, does any one check tensions in the hottest part of the day for tensions with a V block ?,Ive known of thread damage because of this, shot well this morning dont know what happened after lunch, :shock: Chop.

All our current rifles use flexibed system, bolt tensions have no impact on the outcome.

Woody_rod

#12 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Hey Alan, are the settings for this thread diff to any others? It is getting really wide on the page???

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Woody_rod wrote:Hey Alan, are the settings for this thread diff to any others? It is getting really wide on the page???

Rod,

The rifle picture was a bit wide. The thumbnail gets rid of the problem, but creates another one - you have to battle through the ImageShack website :shock: .

Alan

Chopper

#14 Postby Chopper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Woody, Not yet , they dont last forever, Chop.

Cameron Mc

#15 Postby Cameron Mc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:17 pm

I glue mine in......let it set and forget. :D As long as it is done properly.

I have seen some terrible bedding jobs.

Cameron

Return to “Equipment & Technical”