Omark collectors club??

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bartman007

#16 Postby bartman007 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:07 pm

The Swing action was a huge improvement over the Omark, and would be considered quite competitive today!

In regard to standardising the sport being boring, it sounds as though you may have missed the key SKILL required as a target shooter, [being able to read the conditions]. This is the interesting part of our sport.

In addition to shooting, I enjoy coaching. And I'd quite happily coach all day if I had the choice. Being able to get a great score for a shooter by reading the conditions is a real buzz. And it is cheap too :)

I must say however, that toying with the various bits available to us in F Open is also interesting. At times a bit annoying, when you forget to order the expanding mandrel for the new calibre :(

Barry Davies

#17 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:10 pm

Woody,
My facts are never wrong, but yes I agree, rear lockers were 30 years out of date 30 years ago, that's why it was not popular.
Lloyd Neilsen manufactured a rear locker about the time he made the MN 600 . Obviously it never had a loose bolt head like the omark or MN 300 but otherwise it was similar to an omark. One problem he had with it was that the bolt from the 600 would go into the receiver and turn down. He called it a SABRE.
Yes my post was about history but is relevant to present day as there are still many omarks, Angels, and Neilsens around which are shooting as well as any other.

Barry

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:22 pm

Barry Davies wrote:...My facts are never wrong...

I was wrong once only - it was when I admitted making a mistake, only to later find out that I hadn't.... :D :D

Barry Davies

#19 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:40 pm

A fact cannot be wrong.
Barry

Cameron Mc

#20 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:12 pm

The rear locking Neilsen Sabre is probably collectable now as few were made. They just did not take on. To the best of my knowledge some of the Neilsen action parts were made by MAB, the company that took over making Omarks.

Cameron
Last edited by Cameron Mc on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woody_rod

#21 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:00 am

bartman007 wrote:The Swing action was a huge improvement over the Omark, and would be considered quite competitive today!

The SWING still exists today, it is called the RPA Quadlock. Look up discussions on this by RGC and others. Competitive actions, if you can ever get one.

In regard to standardising the sport being boring, it sounds as though you may have missed the key SKILL required as a target shooter, [being able to read the conditions]. This is the interesting part of our sport.

In addition to shooting, I enjoy coaching. And I'd quite happily coach all day if I had the choice. Being able to get a great score for a shooter by reading the conditions is a real buzz. And it is cheap too :)

I also enjoy coaching. I will be one of the coaches for the F Class goodwill team to USA in 2012. I think I understand well enough what the priorities are.

I must say however, that toying with the various bits available to us in F Open is also interesting. At times a bit annoying, when you forget to order the expanding mandrel for the new calibre :(

This is the interest for me as well. Sticking to one projectile or caliber, for me, is boring - plain and simple; that is...unless it is smallbore 50m prone, which I also enjoy.

jerryatric

swing actions

#22 Postby jerryatric » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:16 pm

hi, regarding the swing actions . i know where i can buy a complete rifle built on a swing action , is it worth buying & can i get parts for it if needed ?.
personly i love my omarks as im not a bank mamager & dont have a sqilion dollars to spend .. ive been using omarks for years & have regulary won troghys in f-standard & f-open with them ..

johnk

#23 Postby johnk » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:58 pm

The Swing certainly was the icebreaker for the quadlocking actions, but has its shortcomings.

Even if fitted with the later Paramount cocking roller, it is a right bitch to cock & as such is far better used as a TR rifle than an F class rig. Imagine how much your aim will be disturbed during the cocking process.

Remember that fewer than 2000 of them were built (cofounder Laurie Ingram claimed 1700) & a number of those were the spastic earlier marks. As such spares are becoming an issue, particularly now that RPA have left the building. I suspect that that will colour James Corbett's inventory here in Australia in future.

Having said that, my single wish has always to fined a mark 5 with the heavy "benchrest" receiver to build a match rifle on.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”