Tangent,Secant,Hybrid.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Chopper

Tangent,Secant,Hybrid.

#1 Postby Chopper » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Can some one tell me, Iknow VLD and BTHP and have some idea how they work, so the latest hybrid only tells me they are some where in between with seating ? which is some where else ? BC better ? just intersted, please explain, Chop.

AlanF

Re: Tangent,Secant,Hybrid.

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Chopper wrote:Can some one tell me, Iknow VLD and BTHP and have some idea how they work, so the latest hybrid only tells me they are some where in between with seating ? which is some where else ? BC better ? just intersted, please explain, Chop.

Okay Paul, here goes :

You probably know most of this but I'll start from the beginning for the sake of any new shooters. Its all about the transition from ogive to bearing surface. Tangent ogive has a smooth transition as with just about any Sierra. Secant ogive has a sharp transition, as with HBCs and most Bergers. VLD is a Berger acronym (very low drag) to describe their long secant ogive bullets. Hybrid is the latest Berger variation - it is a VLD with the sharp transition smoothed off somewhat. They claim it gives the best of both worlds i.e high BC of the VLD, but without the finicky seating depth problems associated with VLDs.

They are adding more hybrids over time - there's supposed to be 6.5mm coming next which may interest you.You should try to get some in time for Mackay. :wink:

Alan :D

DaveMc

#3 Postby DaveMc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:38 am

G'day Chop,

A few good Pics to go with Alans explanation.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ve-bullet/

Cheers

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Alan and Dave,
Thanks for the explanation and lead to the pictures of the various bullet ogives.Now I know what the fuss is about. Hope they work out for you.
Mike.

Chopper

#5 Postby Chopper » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:35 pm

I hope NASA is watching this, maybe they will change the shape of the next Shuttle and get it there a bit quicker with more accuracey and make it easier for the seating of the pilots, :lol: Chop.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Chopper wrote:I hope NASA is watching this, maybe they will change the shape of the next Shuttle and get it there a bit quicker with more accuracey and make it easier for the seating of the pilots, :lol: Chop.

Actually, NASA say they're not doing another shuttle. Perhaps Berger should take over...

Woody_rod

#7 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 am

There are other issues with modern projectiles. The longer the nose or ogive of the projectile, the less room for error there is in the projectile itself, chambering and reloading. This often relates to shorter bearing surface area, such as comparing the 2155 SMK to the 2156 - they are considerably different.

The best to way see what shoots the best is to load them and test.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”