Shooting dry barrels

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Chopper

Shooting dry barrels

#1 Postby Chopper » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:14 pm

I cant help but notice that some shooters start a range with a dry barrel, this may work for some barrels with sighting shots but not most I think, some go straight in but others may take 3 or four shots or more, to find elevation, depending on the cleaning , what do you do and how does it work for you ?a fine mineral oil solvent to finish seems to work leaving a Fine trace of oil with the first shot slightley low with the next hitting a good elevation for the rest of the shoot,, I have seen some finish with metho to dry the barrel ?but not work, Moly bullets with a clean/dry barrel is another story, This can cost you a lot of points at the start of a day at a Queens, Chop.

BATattack

#2 Postby BATattack » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:29 pm

i use a dry barrel just patched out after cleaning have no problems at all. 1st shot is a dependable 1/2MOA low and the rest are where they should be.

i have heard of some guys that shoot moly bullets run a cotton mop soaked in graphite and metho down the barrel before the range and that helps with the settleing in.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:24 am

Clean the gun, two patches with a light oil such as rem oil, store muzzle down and just load and shoot. First one is low, fine from there on. Dont like shooting barrels dry unless I have to. Same goes with all my hunting guns (not my 22lr or shotgun)

Barry Davies

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:10 am

Every shot after the first is thru a dry barrel.
The first shot thru a clean barrel is always slower than subsequent shots because there is less resistance, BUT, your barrel tuning dictates where the first shot will land.
With carefull tuning you can make the first shot ( clean ) hit pretty much the same spot as the second and subsequent shots. Just takes a bit of time and effort.
Barry

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:33 am

I've been shooting Boron through all of my barrels for a year or so now. In all cases I clean out with Subaru Upper Engine cleaner or Subaru Fuel Additive (they say they're the same formula & I don't notice any difference) at the end of each match or day depending on how I'm feeling at the time. To date, all first shots have been in the group with all barrels.

After a full PM, I follow up with a modest dosing of JB Bore Brite. It takes a shot or two before I'm comfortable that the bore has settled after this treatment.

When I shot moly, I did temper the bore after a full cleaning regime with a proprietary dry moly bearing lube which used an air drying adhesive. It worked OK but it was a bugger to apply & clean up after.

John

Matt P

#6 Postby Matt P » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Barry Davies wrote:Every shot after the first is thru a dry barrel.
The first shot thru a clean barrel is always slower than subsequent shots because there is less resistance, BUT, your barrel tuning dictates where the first shot will land.
With carefull tuning you can make the first shot ( clean ) hit pretty much the same spot as the second and subsequent shots. Just takes a bit of time and effort.
Barry

Barry
Could you expand on this ??
Thanks Matt P

jcinsa

#7 Postby jcinsa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:53 am

Like Matt, I too would like to know more about this.

I once heard a Match Rifle Shooter saying how he could use his tuner to ensure subsequent shots had the same evelation as his first sighter.

I just though he was dreaming.

JC
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

Barry Davies

#8 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:19 am

Usually the first shot thru a clean barrel will read anywhere between 15 and 35 f/s slower than subsequent shots. Those figures are arbitrary and can vary depending upon the barrel dimensions and whether you use molly or whatever.
The point is the first clean barrel shot is slower than the rest and as a result will hit low on the target, being more pronounced at longer ranges -- 600 and beyond.
You can with care and time find a position for your barrel tuner which changes the barrel vibration pattern so that both shots hit pretty much the same spot.
There are no hard and fast rules where tuners are concerned so it becomes trial and error.( which way and how much to move )
Probably the best way to do this is to have two loads of sufficient difference to give you say 30 f/s average difference in speed -- fire each alternately adjusting the tuner until the varying speeds form an acceptable group. Then try it on a clean barrel.
Minimum distance to see results is 600, better still 900 on a calm day.
Alternatively you could clean every two shots :lol:
Waste of time doing this exercise with ammo that varies more than 15 f/s so get that right first

Barry

jcinsa

#9 Postby jcinsa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for that Barry
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

mike H

#10 Postby mike H » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:42 am

I agree with Barry. My last Match Rifle barrel, with tuner,would put the first shot in the middle,I would aim at the top of the V bull line, first shot then go centre after that. The benefit of that was saving shots and being able to go into the 20 shot match at 1200 yards with a clean barrel.
Mike.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”