Anyone Using 6.5x47 Lapua?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Quinny

Anyone Using 6.5x47 Lapua?

#1 Postby Quinny » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 am

I have been reading a bit about this cartridge lately, they are supposed to be a very good short and long range performer, with good barrel life. I have been considering rebarrelling my Savage F/TR .308 with a match-grade barrel, but I am also now considering changing it to a 6.5x47.

Does anyone here shoot a 6.5x47? I would be interested to know how they go at all distances from 100 to 1000yds.

BATattack

#2 Postby BATattack » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:03 pm

i have one with about 1300 rounds down the tube and think its great!!

i found it easy to tune getting 2960fps with 130gr berger VLD's. very accurate, better ballistics than the 6br, extreamly easy to shoot, long barrel life, cheap to load.

shooting out to 1100m it held much beta water line than i could hold windage for!

i also have a 7mm SAUM pushing 180gr bullets at 3050fps but i have shot beta scores with my 6.5x47. why?? maby because of nearly 3x the recoil, maby because i havnt done as much testing due to the shorter barrel life, maby the 6.5x47 is just more pin pont accurate???

at the end of the day if you want an accurate cartride that easy to shoot, cheap to reload and has a long barrel life to shoot club shoots every week end i think the 6x47 is great. if you want to win big prize meets in bad conditions maby a 7mm back up is worth a thought.

Aubrey

#3 Postby Aubrey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 pm

Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

DaveMc

#4 Postby DaveMc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:33 am

Quinny, I saw this post last month and thought I would come back to it after getting my second 6.5*47 barrel going. It is now in and running extremely well (as did the first). I have had quite a few cartridges over my short time in F class (6BR, 6XC (variant), 6.5*47, 6.5*284, 308, 284Shehane) and quite a few more before that but I have to say the 6.5*47 is my favourite in many ways.
In qualifying this though it is not the cartridge I personally would take to any long range events (800-1000). Don't get me wrong it can do well at these ranges but I believe with all things being equal the 7mm has a few points edge at the moment on most days. BUT as an all rounder and great club / local prize meeting rifle I think it would be hard to beat. I will also most likely use at shorter ranges in bigger events. When the new 6.5 hybrids come out it will no doubt perform even better at the longs.
I also do most of my shooting in North Queensland (warm) and have seen none of the small flash hole/powder burning issues reported by others. Just in case though I have now settled back on a 123gr lapua 2208 load and have enlarged the flash hole a bit. The ballistics of this projectile at higher speeds seem to match the bigger projectiles at 2850 and it is VERY accurate.
I don't really like uploading groups but for this one I think it is pertinent to make a point.
This was the load verification group (done at 300 yards) two are sighters before winding off 1 minute so I could see bullet holes through scope on white. (taking into account the windings - all 7 would have gone through 5c piece at 300) Took it to the range and on first outing shot a 60.8. Needless to say I am over the moon. The previous barrel was similar. I have no doubt this is one of the most accurate cartridges around and will keep up with a BR at 300 + do very well at mid range and OK at longs. A BIG PLUS IS IT IS SO MILD TO SHOOT. If I personally had to choose one cartridge for club and prize shoots it would be this one.

Cheers and HYGO (Hope You Get One!)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”