Berger 180 Hybrids

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

DaveMc

#61 Postby DaveMc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:05 am

Same boat, I now have new barrels ready, new hybrids sitting there "gleaming" at me and itchy fingers - now the range closes down for Christmas..........Aghhh.

Cameron Mc

#62 Postby Cameron Mc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:45 pm

DaveMc wrote:Same boat, I now have new barrels ready, new hybrids sitting there "gleaming" at me and itchy fingers - now the range closes down for Christmas..........Aghhh.

What about your other range Dave? Need a report on those hybrids :)

Got my 6x47 SwissMiss up and running and tuned it in today. Tight groups at 500yds.

Cameron

DaveMc

#63 Postby DaveMc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:38 am

G'day Cameron. Glad to hear the 6mmSM is up and running. I like the Swiss Miss name you have given too. I have been working on a 6.5 (using 47 Lap brass) with nice results also. Now I will have to come up with a good name to keep up with SM and Gertrude! - Hopefully she can keep up with the other girls at the range! :D

Right - onto Hybrids. I now have one of my new 7mm barrels chambered and in my hands. :D :D :D I plan on running up some loads with it and the Hybrids + VLDs over next week or two at "the other range". Will report results as I get them. Unfotunately the home range only goes back to 600 :D I am still working on the 1200 yard course....but 600 + chrono should give me some reasonable differences in elevation/ accuracy and velcity spread etc.

Cheers,
Dave

DaveMc

#64 Postby DaveMc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:43 am

I can also report that Marty has been trying the new 180 Sierra with very nice results. We ran up a load here on farm then he took them to the range and shot 2 6's for sighters followed by 12 X's at 700m. :!:

Interestingly we thought he had the same velocity node but point of impact was same as 175 Sierra at 700. So obviously the load is slightly slower but...... is there a big gain in BC???? Nice accurate bullet though.

AlanF

#65 Postby AlanF » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:52 am

Sounds like the Mackay Queens is going to be a great competition!

DaveMc

#66 Postby DaveMc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:11 am

Sure does Alan - Lets just say we are REALLY looking forward to it up here in the North. :D :arrow: - On that note we now have the schedule of Cairns and Townsville prize shoots. Those planning a trip up north might want to consider a bit of a shooting holiday.

1) Mackay Prize shoot is normally held on the days preceeding the NQRA queens
2) NQRA leadup and Queens followed by the State F class teams shoot.
3) Mossman and Cairns combined two day prize shoot on 26th and 27th May
4) Townsville 3 day prize shoot 9-11 June

A great tour to be had there. I might post something on the events page too.

AlanF

#67 Postby AlanF » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:33 am

Dave,

There's a good chance I can make the Mackay OPM, but probably not the later ones. We'll be doing our tripping around (further north hopefully)before Mackay to work in with a mid-April commitment in NSW.

But one thing's for sure, I need to do some serious testing. I have 2 x 7mm barrels in their prime, 168/180 VLDs and 180 hybrids to choose from, and a 1000yd range to test on. I like the sound of your farm though. Does it have a landing strip for Marty? :lol:

Alan

DaveMc

#68 Postby DaveMc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Alan - Hopefully we can twist your arm a little further and get you to hang around........

When I talk to Marty about landing strips - he goes off on a wild tangent and I have to make sure my kids aren't listening.... :lol:

OK first day of preliminary testing (and running barrel in) seems to indicate the Hybrids like the same load as the VLD's in this barrel and the same load as other barrel too. They seem to be shooting very well with a jam at 2840 (If you want to believe the chrono). I haven't pushed them up yet or tried too hard with a jump (Just three shots with same charge - which didn't really work but was also a bit slower). Tomorrow I might test the jammed load a bit further out (600) and try the 10 thou jump by creeping up the ladder a bit (also at 600).

First impressions are very good though. Some tidy short range 3 shot groups. I have refrained from long range testing or 5 shot groups until the barrel has settled down but have a rough idea of where the load should lie now and will push on over next few days (weather permitting)

Cameron Mc

#69 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks Dave

You are saving us some work hopefully.
I wish I had a job like yours :lol:

Cameron

Return to “Equipment & Technical”