Primer selection

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bartman007

Primer selection

#1 Postby bartman007 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:57 pm

When to use a magnum primer vs a standard LR primer?

I'm comparing the 308 to the 284W, and there is a large powder difference. It is a longer and slightly fatter case.

With 58 grains of powder, does this mean I should use magnum primers? Or will the standard Federal 210M work fine?

Should I look for specific signs to determine if the powder is being ignited correctly for the given load / projectile combination?

I have read on one site, that Magnum primers are not as consistent as the standard batch of primers, so that is a driver to stay with the 210M's. However, if they aren't appropriate for the load, then Magnum has to do?

a.JR

Re: Primer selection

#2 Postby a.JR » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi Bartman, For cartridge cases up to and including the 300Ack(max 100gns of H20) i have found a determent in groupings by using all Mag primers except the CCI 250 mag.. The 250 is with out a doubt the softest of all the Mag versions but have found only one barrel in 15 years that this primer was better than the usual suspects in the 210 m and the CCI BR2.. Let the gun choose, i keep 210m/ CCI 250 and CCI BR2 in stock for every new barrel..JR..Jeff Rogers[quote="bartman007"]When to use a magnum primer vs a standard LR primer?

I'm comparing the 308 to the 284W, and there is a large powder difference. It is a longer and slightly fatter case.

With 58 grains of powder, does this mean I should use magnum primers? Or will the standard Federal 210M work fine?

Should I look for specific signs to determine if the powder is being ignited correctly for the given load / projectile combination?

I have read on one site, that Magnum primers are not as consistent as the standard batch of primers, so that is a driver to stay with the 210M's. However, if they aren't appropriate for the load, then Magnum has to do?[/quote]

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:46 pm

It's worth reading what German Salazar has to say about primers. He's done more than the average research into the matter & has drawn some interesting conclusions. Here's his web site articles: http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/p/ ... index.html

bartman007

Primers Primers Primers

#4 Postby bartman007 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:01 pm

John,

That was a great article. And the other references I'm sure will be great reading too.

Interesting to note that the CCI-BR2 flash photo was markedly LESS than that of the 210M.

On the flash size alone, I see that a magnum primer is not required for the 284W.

Cheers.

RDavies

#5 Postby RDavies » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:19 am

Bart, no one who has the 284s working well uses magnum primers. The milder primers such as BR2s are what every one uses. I only used magnum primers over a cronograph a few years ago and they gave a bigger spread than regular primers in a 284.

a.JR, now that I have a 300WSM barrel(well maybe 2 of them soon), I,m thinking about primers/powders for it. The one I have now is a fast twist to suit 230gn Bergers and powders such as 2217, have you experimented with different primers in big cases with 2217?

a.JR

#6 Postby a.JR » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:52 am

Hi Rod , 2217 is not a popular powder in the north because of the on again ,off again nature of this powder in conjunction with temp swings .. That said all powders tested up here through to RE25 have not been successful with the 215Ms, only the CCI 250 has an outside chance .. My research into the 300wsm with guys in the US that i know is limited to 210s and either VV165 or H4350/ADI2209.. The primer side of this is CCIbr2s or 210ms..The 1K bench World record holder in Matt Kline says after 5years of extensive testing with up to three different rifles in the one year ,* there is only one combination that will shoot small ,that is H4350 and the old 210 hunting bullet*.. My guess is his 2.815ins 10 shot group with a 100 score is enough evidence .. I have no experience with the 230 you mention and would not go there ever if it required a tighter twist than 11 in..JR.. Jeff Rogers ..ps we have and would not go larger than the 300ACK at approx 98 gns of H2o because of the gunpowders needed [quote="RDavies"]Bart, no one who has the 284s working well uses magnum primers. The milder primers such as BR2s are what every one uses. I only used magnum primers over a cronograph a few years ago and they gave a bigger spread than regular primers in a 284.

a.JR, now that I have a 300WSM barrel(well maybe 2 of them soon), I,m thinking about primers/powders for it. The one I have now is a fast twist to suit 230gn Bergers and powders such as 2217, have you experimented with different primers in big cases with 2217?[/quote]

bartman007

#7 Postby bartman007 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:20 am

Rod and a.JR, I've now come to the same conclusion that a magnum primer is not required. From everyone's comments, and now from experience with a bigger case using 63 grains of 2217, it seems I'm getting good speed with very small speed difference. I'll have more data next week.

FWIW, I'm using Federal 210M primers.

Having only fired about 60 rounds so far, I'm now at the stage that I'm going to fine tune and closely monitor how it shoots this weekend.

Less time cleaning, more time shooting......running in can be a time consuming process :!:

Last weekend I found that I was having to adjust for rising elevation, as the shoot went on. I believe this is purely a consequence of a new barrel, as it fouls, it climbs. As I get close to 100 rounds it should settle down.

a.JR

#8 Postby a.JR » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 am

Hi All , i have come to believe you need low humidity and cooler temps than i experience in the Nth to get great results from H1000/2217 in any volume .. BAT ,please try your present combo in the temp extremes (on the chrono) you would normally shoot in at this time of the year, say 20deg at 8am and then test again at 32 deg at 3pm .. I think you will be disappointed in the speed change and if you are running a conventional barrel mount set up then you will get into a different vibrational pattern ( this can and will induce your rising elevation problem) ..JR..Jeff Rogers...................[quote="bartman007"]Rod and a.JR, I've now come to the same conclusion that a magnum primer is not required. From everyone's comments, and now from experience with a bigger case using 63 grains of 2217, it seems I'm getting good speed with very small speed difference. I'll have more data next week.

FWIW, I'm using Federal 210M primers.

Having only fired about 60 rounds so far, I'm now at the stage that I'm going to fine tune and closely monitor how it shoots this weekend.

Less time cleaning, more time shooting......running in can be a time consuming process :!:

Last weekend I found that I was having to adjust for rising elevation, as the shoot went on. I believe this is purely a consequence of a new barrel, as it fouls, it climbs. As I get close to 100 rounds it should settle down.[/quote]

Return to “Equipment & Technical”