Horizontal...

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Horizontal...

#1 Postby Brad Y » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Today 500m, I was shooting well and bullets were hitting where they were supposed to. But half way into my second detail I had a shot that went out a 9 oclock in the 4 ring. The next in the 5 ring at 3 o clock. It went back and forth a bit then settled. The shots all felt good and the flags were dead so Im 99% positive it wasnt the wind.

Is there any handling error or common problem that could cause this horizontal movement?

RDavies

#2 Postby RDavies » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 am

I found a few times that I was accidently steering the butt of my rifle around with my shoulder and this gave wide shots. I had to concentrate to make sure I wasnt using the butt to steer the cross hairs where I wanted them.
Another thing is my rest stop. Sometimes it used to touch on the side of the barrel which caused some wild shots as well.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks mate

Ive just swapped scopes and the new one sits up a bit higher and feels a bit more comfy when set up on the mat with bag and bipod. I think I might mill up a flat section to attach to the bottom of the stock so it rides a bit better in the rear bag. Will go do some practice over the next few days and I know that I need to make a real effort to keep my non trigger hand forward and not try to steer the gun with it.

M12LRPV

#4 Postby M12LRPV » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:36 am

RDavies wrote:I found a few times that I was accidently steering the butt of my rifle around with my shoulder and this gave wide shots. I had to concentrate to make sure I wasnt using the butt to steer the cross hairs where I wanted them.
Another thing is my rest stop. Sometimes it used to touch on the side of the barrel which caused some wild shots as well.

I never ceases to amaze me how some of the most seemingly insignificant actions, like contact with the rifle in a certain way, can cause significant issues on the target.

Brad are you sure you weren't canting the rifle? You mention a bipod so that could be a factor.

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm

It could be possible. The davies bipod has the cant adjustment which has moved on me over a string of a couple of shots- more than likely because I didnt tighten it right up or re adjust once it did move. Will add that suggestion into the list of things to play around with next time Im on the firing line.

RAVEN

#6 Postby RAVEN » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Brad you should have a bubble cant indicator fitted to your rail or scope
Most 3 & 9 O'clock shots would be wind 2 O’clock and 7 O’clock shots usually mean technique issues and or (cant) barrel cleaning issues is another.
Poor load will throw left right and verticals and in no particular order
Check that the scope is tracking properly.
Check you scope rings are torqued properly re check your action hold down screws.

All that said sometimes there are influences that the wind flags don’t show you. :idea:
Cheers
RB

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks mate, I saw one at the LGS, I might grab it tomorrow.

Im pretty new to shooting off a bipod like this so its a learning process every time I get behind it.

bruce moulds

#8 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 am

brad,
if that is not wind or technique, likely causes can include bedding, scope, or something loose.
scope problems can be buggers to find, but trying a different scope is the easiest technique.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:01 am

I recently shot on new electronic targets and was getting shots at 3 oclock and 9 Oclock in the 5 ring.
I put it down to the sun being side on to the sensors of the electronic target, and solar flares causing a polynomial vortex in the flux capacitor circuit, naturaly this affected the sensors, cauing shots to appear to be closer or further away from the side sensors and giving wild shots.

Other less technologicaly advanced shooters said I just wasnt watching the flags. :oops:

RAVEN

#10 Postby RAVEN » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 am

Rod you watch to much star trek :lol: :lol:

and solar flares causing a polynomial vortex in the flux capacitor circuit

Brad Y

#11 Postby Brad Y » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:51 pm

I have the same problem here rod... darn solar flares. We just dont have those electronic targets...

Return to “Equipment & Technical”