Bullet Pointing 155gr HBCs

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

Bullet Pointing 155gr HBCs

#1 Postby IanP » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:28 pm

I pointed up some bullets for one of SA's best FS shooters to test out to see what difference it would make on the 30cal HBC projectiles.

Tested on the weekend at 1000yds and the bullets picked up 1.5 MOA vertical. Thats approx 15 inches higher than the standard HBC is capable of without pointing. How much improved the wind drift is still awaits testing.

The testing was conducted as consecutive shots on the same target under the same conditions. It pretty much agrees with data provided by pointing tool manufacturers. More gain to be had (higher BC thru pointing) for the smaller cals than the big cals. 223R shooters would probably gain more than the 308W users.

Maybe HBC could add an additional step and point their bullets up as Hornady are now doing with their Match series of bullets! Maybe the rule could make clear if meplat trimming and bullet pointing are allowed as it is yet another confusing FS rule.

IanP

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:06 pm

3.4.8 Issued ammunition and projectiles issued for handloading must not be
modified or interfered with in any way.

flatlina

#3 Postby flatlina » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:33 pm

johnk wrote:3.4.8 Issued ammunition and projectiles issued for handloading must not be
modified or interfered with in any way.

I suppose that moly coating must fall into some other criteria and not be modifying or interfered with. :?:

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:46 pm

All competitors should note the following:-
(a) For Target Rifle and F Class Standard, ONLY ammunition and
projectiles acquired through the NRAA for State Association
Distribution to its members shall be used in all competitions. (see Rule
3.4.1).
(b) As issued ammunition or approved projectiles issued for handloading
must not be modified or interfered with in any way.(see Rule 3.4.8).
(c) As issued ammunition or projectiles may be cleaned or lubricated as
per Rule 3.4.9.

3.4.9 Use of bullet lubricants is permitted.

Current SSRs can be found on line here & it is permitted that you read them: http://www.nraa.com.au/pubs/SSRs.pdf

flatlina

#5 Postby flatlina » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:44 pm

I was aware of the rule relating to moly coating but still don't understand how it is not modifying or interfering with in any way.
Another thing is about only using projectiles aquired via the NRAA, means that I can't buy from my local shop even if the local NRAA doesn't have what I use. What if I buy direct from the manufacturer?

Regards
john

Ned

#6 Postby Ned » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Flatlina

The problem as all ways is the NRAA wants control of the projectiles, even if they aren’t the best ones chosen, and unfortunately the state associations are too weak to let the shooters chose what’s write for there own rifles. I am manly pointing this at the selection of .223 projectiles, its high time the NRAA got down from there control tower and let the shooters of Australia chose there own 155 and .223 projectiles, and if you wish to get ripped of by the NRAA well good luck with that, I know I will still be buying my projectiles from the cheapest source out there, and believe me you can buy a lot cheaper than the NRAA are selling projectiles.

Ned

Simon C

#7 Postby Simon C » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 am

Perhaps it is a remnant from the days when many shooters were using the SMK 155gn - these were (and still are) offered naked as well as moly coated in bulk boxes
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

bartman007

Standards - even playing field

#8 Postby bartman007 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:03 am

I do see some merit in the NRAA controlling which projectiles are to be used. And for that matter, controlling the supply of them through the associations.

If for example a shooter could import a slightly improved Sierra 155 gn projectile, that had a higher BC, would it be fair to use that in competition against the people that don't import the "better" projies?

If all F Standard competitors buy their projies from their local association, we can be confident that everyone is on the one level playing field.

Otherwise, join F Class Open, and use whatever you want within its caliber range :-) There's heaps to choose from mmm...........

Ian, I'd be interested in how you go with your group tests on the 155's, maybe I'll throw out the 6mm in favour for the 308W with meplat projies ;-)

Cheers.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:43 am

flatlina wrote:I was aware of the rule relating to moly coating but still don't understand how it is not modifying or interfering with in any way.

John,

"interfered with in any way" may not be the best words to use but any person with some experience and commonsense looking at rules 3.4.8 and 3.4.9 would understand what they mean. And that's all we require of the rules.

Alan

Seddo

Re: Standards - even playing field

#10 Postby Seddo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:55 pm

bartman007 wrote:I do see some merit in the NRAA controlling which projectiles are to be used. And for that matter, controlling the supply of them through the associations.

the last 3 times i have been to bendigo for work the shop has been closed 2 of the times, during the times its suppose to be open on the website. I know i could get them posted but if im going to pay postage i might as well order them from a gunshop that sells the same projies cheaper.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Seddo

Re: Bullet Pointing 155gr HBCs

#11 Postby Seddo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:57 pm

IanP wrote:Tested on the weekend at 1000yds and the bullets picked up 1.5 MOA vertical. Thats approx 15 inches higher than the standard HBC is capable of without pointing. How much improved the wind drift is still awaits IanP

i am new to the game so correct me if im wrong. i dont see how them being flatter helps when you are shootign at a fixed distance, its only wind drift that should really matter.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Seddo wrote:...i dont see how them being flatter helps when you are shootign at a fixed distance, its only wind drift that should really matter.

True, but elevation change is a better indicator of BC change than wind drift tests. Its hard to be sure that wind speed is fairly constant between shots. In fact if I was Ian I wouldn't bother trying to compare wind drift - he already has enough information to calculate it (assuming a chrono was used).

Alan

Seddo

#13 Postby Seddo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 pm

thanks Alan.

As i'm heading to bendigo tomorrow i thought i would ring the VRA and make sure they were going to be open but I got a message saying the shop is closed until the 29th of August.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Seddo wrote:thanks Alan.

As i'm heading to bendigo tomorrow i thought i would ring the VRA and make sure they were going to be open but I got a message saying the shop is closed until the 29th of August.

Yes it is closed for a couple of weeks. If you need something urgently, I may be able to help. Will PM you.

Alan

Woody_rod

#15 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Seddo wrote:
IanP wrote:Tested on the weekend at 1000yds and the bullets picked up 1.5 MOA vertical. Thats approx 15 inches higher than the standard HBC is capable of without pointing. How much improved the wind drift is still awaits IanP

i am new to the game so correct me if im wrong. i dont see how them being flatter helps when you are shootign at a fixed distance, its only wind drift that should really matter.

The two things: elevation and wind drift are linked. More elevation would generally mean more windage, but not necessarily.

My own 260 shoots about half the windage of a 308 x 155, and 2/3 the elevation at all ranges.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”