Is The Remington Model 700 Flawed - USA Expose!

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

Is The Remington Model 700 Flawed - USA Expose!

#1 Postby IanP » Tue May 31, 2011 12:56 pm

Have a read of this about the ongoing problems with the Mod 700 and then watch the video clip!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39759366/Documen ... d_with_Pot

Ian

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Definitely food for thought there Ian...I own a Remington 700, might be a good thing it rarely comes out of the safe.

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Tue May 31, 2011 5:49 pm

The rifle's fine; the trigger is fine; it's just the safety that is an issue.

Target shooter's solution: remove the safety. It isn't required.

John

PS: I ran Remington triggers sans safeties on my Sportco/Omarks back when & never had an issue with them. They were a damn sight better trigger than the originals with their open cages.

KHGS

#4 Postby KHGS » Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 pm

I would strongly suggest that this is a classic case of reporting only that part of the story that the reporter wants heard. The "problem" is purely to do with the incorrect "setting up" of the trigger. Usually by inexperienced people who should not be tinkering with triggers. This situation can be induced in almost all adjustable triggers with sear blocking safety catches. The best (and most expensive) safety catches are those that block the firing pin fall, such as M98 & Winchester M70's. As John K indicated, Remington triggers are as safe as any trigger if set correctly. Always be very cautious with any safety catch, especially those that operate by blocking the sear. After any trigger work on triggers that are fitted with safety catches, it is mandatory to test the operation of the safety catch before loading the firearm.
Keith H.

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:11 am

well said keith.
what is easy to fail to recognise here is that the wrong issue was addressed by the anti gun media.
rule no 1. never point a firearm at anythig you are not prepared to destroy.
what was tha woman doing pointing a firearm at a horsefloat in the first place?
we all know that any firearm can discharge at any time, loaded, safety on safety off or unloaded.
she in effect murdered her child if she knew firearm safety rules, and possibly so by not going to the trouble of learning them.
in fact why was a round even chambered at that point in time?
the safest people i know with firearms do not use safeties, relying on an empty chamber unless ready to shoot, and NEVER pointing a barrel where it can cause harm.
anyway, this whole thing could be an argument in favour of having a stolle with a jewill trigger.
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Return to “Equipment & Technical”