Meplat trimming/pointing

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

MGS

Meplat trimming/pointing

#1 Postby MGS » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:31 pm

I would be interested in any user comments on the advantages (or otherwise) of trimming meplats and/or pointing them. Tools used, results, particularly effect on windage at 800 - 1200 yards.

cheers

Maurice

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Maurice,

I've used the Whidden system now with 210 SMKs in my Match Rifle for a year or three - both pointing & meplat trimming - but I haven't done enough shooting to give a definitive on them (I was distracted using 208 Amaxes for a while until I caught a bait with a batch).

On the positive, I did shoot my record 100.8 & 75.6 at 1200 yards when I won the 2009 Queensland championship with Whidden points. I an pretty much of the opinion that with SMKs, I can bypass carring out some of my quality measurements, as the process more or less covers those issues, largely because both the pointing & trimming are indexed off the base of the projectile & the resulting output indicates uniformity via length of point & degree of meplat trimmed.

My process involves the following:

Point to degree suitable to the batch.
    Trim the meplat to barely clean the point (This might necessitate setting the trimmer for a second cut on some of the run if the procedure indicates that batching is desirable).
    Uniform the cut by pointing an extra .001"
    Tumble to clean up point further & apply HBN.
I'd like to think that I've tightened up my deviation bell curve somewhat. As far as achieving better BCs, it's not an easy call at 1000 yards & beyond when you're travelling from location to location, each with their unique local ordure as the day progresses.

John

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Pointing will improve the performance of most projectiles at long range
Pointing 175Gr SMK makes them a good bullet
Point bergers and the like will make them great would not bother pointing bullets for close to mid range stuff.
the purpose is consistancy that can't be obtained by mass produced projy's
Cheers
RB :)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”