FO rifle

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AM

FO rifle

#1 Postby AM » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Ok now that I have decided to shoot F Open and have a dedicated rifle made what advice can you give me for actions, barrels and stocks. I think I will invest in a switch barrel outfit as I’m getting very frustrated with the variety of calibers to choose from.

Any advice appreciated.

Albert.
MBRC

Matt P

#2 Postby Matt P » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:05 pm

What's the budget ??
I would suggest a Barnard action, FO style stock, NF optics as to barrels all of the major manufatures make good and bad barrels but I would stick to True flite, Maddco and Krieger in no particular order. I would also recommend investing in a good front rest once again this will depend on budget. Last of all find a good smith to put it together and chamber it in a caliber that does't burn barrels to badly and PRACTCE, PRACTICE and more PRATICE.

Good luck
Matt P

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:07 pm

Hi Albert

You disapoint me, I'll have no one left to play with in std at the rate people are moving to open.

You could have a look at Ben D's rifle that he has for sale, as a starting point. It has a good action, shoots very well in it's current format and is good value for what is being offered. Just a thought, good luck and good shooting.

Lynn

AM

#4 Postby AM » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Thanks Matt and the budget is open at this stage.

Lynn I will still shoot Standard now and then but I want to give Open a serious go for several reasons. TQ told me about Bens rifle but I have made no decisions yet.

I talked with Tony friday night about Ardrossan, are you lot going?
MBRC

bully_eye

#5 Postby bully_eye » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:33 am

Don't think you can go wrong with any of the well known actions or barrels. My Fclass rig- still being made- is based on a Python action made by Stiller in the States. Maddco barrel, McMillan stock, but the combinations are as many as you can think of. I think you would be hard pressed to look past a 6mmBR or a 260rem but again there are numerous options there as well. I chose 6.5/284 but I am a little worried about barrel life- wont worry me if I can get it to shoot but an expensive experiment if I can't. Just bought myself a 12-42 NF scope but only because I would like to shoot the Fly as well and you need all the magnification you can get. Including scope, reloading dies, rifle, arbor press I'm looking at around $6000..... don't tell my girlfriend though! :shock:

Michael

Return to “Equipment & Technical”