stock trends - a load of

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

stock trends - a load of

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm

codswallop, or a necessity?
it would seem that if you don't have a multi adjustment buttplate (including time warp), and at least 15 spacers between it and the stock , that you can't win a thing these days.
in order to not come last, other requirements seem to include an adjustable cheekpiece and low rider design front and rear.
to shoot world records, all these things are required in one package.
comments would be interesting.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:41 pm

The cheekpiece was a handy fitting on my FS gun because I was able to remove it so I can get behind the scope without squashing the comb & causing variable drag. It would have been a real bugger sawing a lump out of a plastic stock.

The Anschutz adjustable butt came with the stock when it was my target rifles. These days I free recoil shooting F class so the adjustment isn't used but I need the stock to be about 20 mm longer than when I shot with a sling. Spacers cut out of an old nylon cutting board with a Starrett holesaw sorted that issue out.

Was I naughty to slap a lump of bog on the bottom of the butt so I could sand out a runner coaxial to the barrel & straight under it? It really threw shots first up when the offest butt recoiled through the rear bag's ears

Finally, Bruce, about everybody I know has put at least one shot on the wrong plate & trimmed one stock at least 10 mm too short. Bog & spacers are the salvation of mankind, particularly for mugs like me who never get the dimensions right first go.

Cheers, John

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:40 pm

M12LRPV

#4 Postby M12LRPV » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:59 am

:lol:

Don't know about adjustable buttplate's but "Adjustable Cheek Pieces" seem to be the necessity at my club.

Personally I can't stand cheek contact because it messes up recoil. I even go so far as to not shave before a shoot in case of accidental contact. There's another thread there. What weird personal things do you do to try and shoot well? Lucky socks anyone?

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 am

The best " groupers " in the shooting game do not have cheek contact with their rifle.
Try this little test---- Line your rifle up on the target then weld your cheek to the stock and look what happens to the point of aim--take your cheek off the stock and look again at what happens to the point of aim. Try this several times and check the point of aim each time -- bet there are not two the same.
The point of this exercise shows you that it is extremely difficult to maintain a constant cheek pressure over a series of shots -- so why try? Inconsistency at the rifle leads to the same at the target.
I remove my cheek piece.

Barry

M12LRPV

#6 Postby M12LRPV » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:39 am

Yeah, well aware of the effects of the cheek contact and variables and inconsistencies introduced handling of the rifle. Learnt all that from the rimfire game and brought it over into F-Class :)

So free recoil with a 223 works very well for me.

Paul Janzso

stocks

#7 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 pm

My main rifle is a MBR copy, all I do is pull the stock into my shoulder, wind read , ajust and fire.
Simple

Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

IanP

Re: stocks

#8 Postby IanP » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 pm

pest bird wrote:My main rifle is a MBR copy, all I do is pull the stock into my shoulder, wind read , ajust and fire.
Simple

Paul

What about that pneumatic recoil arrestor fitted to your rifle butt!

IanP

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:14 pm

I never want to contact the cheek piece on an F class rifle on a rest. Shooting off hand I prefer a good cheek piece contact though.

A bright and shiny stock is much more advantagious than a stock with knobs and levers.

Matt P

#10 Postby Matt P » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:34 pm

RDavies wrote:I never want to contact the cheek piece on an F class rifle on a rest. Shooting off hand I prefer a good cheek piece contact though.

A bright and shiny stock is much more advantagious than a stock with knobs and levers.

Hey Rod
Please post a photo of Black Beauty, so everone can see how a qualty finish and looking stock makes a "winning rifle" :lol: :lol:
Matt

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Matt,

Back in the days of prehistory (Omarks & L2A2 ammo), George Male, superior competitor & one time Belmont range superintendent, on being challenged when he said that bedding wasn't as important as some thought, chopped a stock out of a limb off a wattle tree, screwed his action into it & shot a possible.

The stock still lurks around Belmont somewhere.

John

actionclear

#12 Postby actionclear » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:03 pm

I also know of someone who shot a possible with no bedding screws. :shock:

Somehow I think these people will also shoot possibles using a slingshot.
Linda

.308 Scoped Rifle

Western Australia.

RAVEN

#13 Postby RAVEN » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:51 pm

I think Rod has George Male's old stock although Rod has gone a bit upmarket and given it a good coat of tyre black :lol: :lol:

Cameron Mc

#14 Postby Cameron Mc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:56 pm

actionclear wrote:I also know of someone who shot a possible with no bedding screws. :shock:

Somehow I think these people will also shoot possibles using a slingshot.

Linda, one of my FO rifles has no bedding screws. Action is "glued in" like my other guns :)

I usually have the screws in thumb tight as insurance. If done correctly a "glue in" won't let go.

Cheers
Cameron

macguru

#15 Postby macguru » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:58 pm

ref previous "The best " groupers " in the shooting game do not have cheek contact with their rifle.
etc "
Just read this prev post.... What I have been doing, is lining the vertical crosshair on the target with my cheek not pressing on the cheekpiece, by adjusting the rear rest with my hands, then settling down gently enough to not move the point of aim as i touch the cheekpiece, but with enough pressure to get my head comfortable.
seems to work, and i can tell if i am shoving it off line as i settle. I figure it has to matter under recoil, your cheek will deflect the back of the gun a bit otherwise.....
cheers andrew

Return to “Equipment & Technical”