F Class Training Simulator for download

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

pjifl

#1 Postby pjifl » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:33 pm

I posted this originally under the subject 'Russian ......'

It is possible it could be buried there and not be seen by others so am reposting it under a new heading.

Bruce mentions the Russian Benchrest Simulator.

Some of you may be interested in a program I wrote about 2 years ago.

It is not polished, is probably overly complex and a little confusing at first, and may not run on some machines. But if you can get it running I believe it is an excellent way to lead people through the decisions to be made in wind and group management required for long range shooting.

One can design different targets, either aim off or set sights for wind changes at different flag distances - set the type of wind changes etc. It also simulates an imperfect rifle so you have to see through the statistics of a real life group unfolding.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pjifl/topscore.zip

When unzipped the folder MUST be placed as \topscore in the root directory of drive C

ie it will be C:\topscore

Start by running the exe file in this directory topscore.exe There are then a lot of directions and info within the program.

If people can or cannot get it running I would appreciate their letting me know.

There are no viruses in it but if you dont trust me them you should not run it.

I believe it would very nicely complement a training session where an experienced shooter would discuss the decisions with a newcomer. Especially someone with no idea of minutes and wind reading. It was written for this reason. Although I could do a much better job writing a new program, I have no intention of working on it any more except possibly to fix any serious bugs.

Peter Smith.

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:45 pm

:) Hi Peter

I'm running in Windows XP and your program seems to work fine. I havent had much time to play with settings though (I'm supposed to be doing revision for Uni exams).

I wish we could switch off all the things like wind and shooter variation when at the range like in your program. One sighter and its a possible every time.

Lynn Otto

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:53 pm

hi peter'
thank you.
your programme has explained a lot of things re elevation problems. had a bit of trouble re wind adjustments on the fly target, but have to do more homework
regards,
bruce moulds.

pjifl

#4 Postby pjifl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback. At least a few have got it running and I hope it may be of some use.

Do not forget that you can define different wind conditions and 'quality' of rifles and shooters. You may want to define conditions with less wind strength.

A few of the things I think its worthwhile for are

1/ To demonstrate to a newcomer just what a disadvantage it is to not have a perfect wind zero on a rifle - especially in fistailing winds.

2/ To demonstrate just how many elevation problems may be caused by Aerodynamic Jump which tends to rear its ugly head more in F Open shooting.

3/ To practice keeping track of sight settings.

If you have any problems let me know.

Peter.

Tony Q

#5 Postby Tony Q » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:42 pm

works fine on XP

thanks Peter.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:45 pm

Peter,

Is aerodynamic jump what occurs when there is wind from behind? I use a 6.5x284 and have noticed that in these conditions, I am more effected by elevation problems than the .308 shooters.

Alan

pjifl

#7 Postby pjifl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:56 pm

What I meant by Aerodynamic jump is when the wind from left or right not only drifts the projectile sideways, but also induces an up or down 'deflection'. I am no expert on this but honestly think the problem is there with all cartridges but the tighter targets has made me more sensitive to it.

Peter.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:06 pm

Peter,

I was very impressed, or should I say astounded :lol: by the content on your website. Now I went a fair way in physics, but soon realised that your stuff is a few levels higher up!

Do you have any contact with Louis Boyd (frequents the 1000yd forum on benchrest.com)? He's very much into optics and other waves. I think he runs an astronomical observatory.

Alan

pjifl

#9 Postby pjifl » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:23 am

Alan,

Obviously, I am very interested in Optics - but that is only a very narrow area of Physics.

>Do you have any contact with Louis Boyd (frequents the 1000yd forum >on benchrest.com)? He's very much into optics and other waves. I think >he runs an astronomical observatory.

No. I do not know him at all but maybe I should do a Google on 1000 yd and Louis Boyd !

Peter.

ajvanwyk

Re: F Class Training Simulator for download

#10 Postby ajvanwyk » Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Only 11 years late...

Peter as a newbe I cannot but feel that your simulator would benefit me. Interestingly apart from me recently taking up the sport again it was about 11 years that I last took part....

Unfortunately the zip or site no longer seems to be available. Any chance I could give it a go ?

Not sure if my Windows 10 machine can handle the brilliance but I'm reasonably sure that I have a Windows XP relic somewhere in the shed ;-)

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

DaveMc

#11 Postby DaveMc » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:02 am

A collection of some of Peters software is located here
https://sites.google.com/site/pjsprograms/home
including the topscore program
https://sites.google.com/site/pjsprogra ... d-shooting

A couple of programs have issues on windows 10. Peter has modified so that few glitches on windows 7. Generally 8.1 is OK on most too.

ajvanwyk

#12 Postby ajvanwyk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:58 pm

DaveMc wrote:A collection of some of Peters software is located here
https://sites.google.com/site/pjsprograms/home
including the topscore program
https://sites.google.com/site/pjsprogra ... d-shooting

A couple of programs have issues on windows 10. Peter has modified so that few glitches on windows 7. Generally 8.1 is OK on most too.

Love your work Dave - Thank you.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Return to “Equipment & Technical”