Switch Barrels

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AM

Switch Barrels

#1 Postby AM » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:41 am

Can anyone give me their thoughts on Switch barrells and how easy they are to change.

Albert.
MBRC

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:12 am

Don't have one personally but I think they are a great idea and may look at it as an option on my new F-Class rig. I've seen benchrest and F-Class shooters change barrels in just a few minutes- in fact I've seen Matt P change barrels between stages at a club shoot with a vice attached to the bacl of his car! :P

Michael

Cameron Mc

#3 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:48 am

Switch barrels are a great idea. I have three rifles set up as switch barrels.
All you require is a barrel vice and a wrench to fit the action. I have 2 x 2 lug actions and use a thru port aluminium wrench. My other is a Quadlite action which I use a rear entry wrench. The barrels only need to be tightened lightly (competent barrel fitting/gunsmithing is required). Also grease on the barrel threads is a must.
Just let me know if you need any more help.

Cameron

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:17 am

Albert,

I've also started swapping barrels recently - I have a very cheap and simple barrel vise which bolts on instead of the tow-ball. As Cameron says you also need an action wrench to suit your setup, and I use a tension wrench (I tighten to 100ft-lb). I've been warned the main thing you need to be careful of is damage to the barrel thread, usually because it isn't kept clean of grit. You also should use an anti-seize compound on your thread. I can change barrels on my Barnard action in about 10 mins without rushing. I have 3 barrels in the same calibre, with one running moly, one not, and the third an old barrel for practice or when conditions are extreme and the rifle accuracy doesn't make much difference :lol: ! Most others who swap (e.g. Matt Paroz) seem to be swapping between calibres, which I want to start doing one day. With the cost of action and stocks, this is a great way of spreading your available $ further.

Alan :D

gonefishin

#5 Postby gonefishin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 pm

Also, once you make a note of your change in zero it should always come
back to the same position. As mentioned earlier keep your threads clean, and wipe any crap off the mating surfaces on the reciever face and the barrel shoulder. Very easy to do....... If I can do it then......

Steve

AM

#6 Postby AM » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:17 pm

Thank you for your advice.

Albert.
MBRC

Return to “Equipment & Technical”