Which Bi-pod?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Lynn Otto

Which Bi-pod?

#1 Postby Lynn Otto » Sun May 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Looking for some suggestions here about which bi-pod would best suit the needs of a "short armed" female. Prior to my sojourn from shooting two years ago I was using a joy stick pedastal front rest for the reason that it put the 'shot to shot' adjustment within my reach.

I am now looking to return to shooting but am in the situation where I will not be able to carry heavy items to and from the mound. So short of finding a good looking caddy boy that will work for free and be interested in hanging around a rifle range all day :D (Trev turned the job down), I need to reduce the weight and improve the managability of my equipment.

I decided that since I had no issue with using a bi-pod other than my difficulty in adjusting it due to my short reach once lying on the mound, I would look around for a bipod to may suit me.

So there is the question, does anyone have any suggestions for a good bi-pod that hopefully has an adjusting system that is easy to use and preferably toward the shooter? This is probably a big ask but I would appreciate any suggestions that would make it viable for me to shoot.

Lynn

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sun May 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Lynn,

As a way of helping your situation, you could mount the bipod closer (to you) than what is normally done. I have never been convinced that having a very long base between front and rear rests is important, in fact if your stock fore-end has too much spring in it, then it can actually be a problem. So if you have a sliding (Anchutz type?) mounting rail, try pulling the bipod closer.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Sun May 10, 2009 6:05 pm

With the bi-pods we already have, even with it at my end of the rail, I still have problems which is why I also said easy to use. The ones we have use a largish knurled knob for the adjusting and with the nerve damage and lack of strength in my hands now, even this causes me problems. I was hoping there was a user friendly bi-pod out here.

I guess what I would ideally like is a light weight bi-pod with a joystick adjuster, so the gross adjustments requiring hand strength can be done before I start shooting and then I can manage the minute adjustments with the joystick...I just don't think such an animal exists, but I was being hopeful.

But a normal bi-pod with well engineered adjusters that are easy on the hands may be possible.

RAVEN

#4 Postby RAVEN » Sun May 10, 2009 8:45 pm

New ShadeTree F-Class Rest Base

http://www.accurateshooter.com/bulletin.html

abot half way down page lynn
I know it not a bipod lynn
but sure looks lightweight
Cheers
RB

a.JR

Re: Which Bi-pod?

#5 Postby a.JR » Sun May 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Lynn, I am a bored to pieces at present as there is no shooting for up here .. Tell me what you need and i'll build it for you / NC.. Will need specs / how much adjustment needed , weight ,etc ..JR..jeff rogers
Lynn Otto wrote:Looking for some suggestions here about which bi-pod would best suit the needs of a "short armed" female. Prior to my sojourn from shooting two years ago I was using a joy stick pedastal front rest for the reason that it put the 'shot to shot' adjustment within my reach.

I am now looking to return to shooting but am in the situation where I will not be able to carry heavy items to and from the mound. So short of finding a good looking caddy boy that will work for free and be interested in hanging around a rifle range all day :D (Trev turned the job down), I need to reduce the weight and improve the managability of my equipment.

I decided that since I had no issue with using a bi-pod other than my difficulty in adjusting it due to my short reach once lying on the mound, I would look around for a bipod to may suit me.

So there is the question, does anyone have any suggestions for a good bi-pod that hopefully has an adjusting system that is easy to use and preferably toward the shooter? This is probably a big ask but I would appreciate any suggestions that would make it viable for me to shoot.

Lynn

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Sun May 10, 2009 9:35 pm

Jeff,

Good on you if you can do that. And you'll be pleased to know that I can't see anything in the rules to prevent the use of a joystick at the top of a bipod in either F-Std or F-Open. If you can do it at a reasonable price, I'd say there would be a good market, because I'm guessing that many of us would prefer that to either a conventional bipod or pedestal.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#7 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon May 11, 2009 12:00 am

Richard

Thankyou for the link, that certainly looks like an interesting unit but I think I want to go with a bi-pod not just for the weight factor but the added ability to manage the rifle itself. With a bi-pod attached it makes putting the rifle down pretty much anywhere a much easier proposition.

Jeff

I am most honoured and appreciative of your offer and would most certainly not expect anything NC, everything has a cost even if it is just the materials. That said, I will discuss with Trev the requirements you mention and will contact you directly.

Alan

I'm not sure that Jeff was offering to make a joystick topped bi-pod and I was actually just thinking out loud on the keyboard when I described what I would like, I really don't know what is possible. But thinking about it, that probably would be marketable, who knows. The drawback that I see is probably that it would become top heavy with a potential for instability.

Alan what do the rules say about a rest with small electric servo motors for making adjustments. :lol:

Thankyou for the input guys
Lynn

PS if anyone knows of an already available easy to adjust unit I'd still like to know, no point in re-inventing the wheel.

RDavies

#8 Postby RDavies » Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 am

I have seen just what you need but dont know who makes them anymore. In NSW a few people are using a right angle drive (like a small differential) out of a washing machine and fitting it to the F class bipod. The input has a 12" flex drive coming out towards the shooter and the outputs go out to the bipod legs.
Surely someone on this forum has a picture of the setup or knows who will make them. This puts the adjuster in the same place as a joystick in a pedastal rest. It doesnt add much weight either.

a.JR

#9 Postby a.JR » Mon May 11, 2009 9:50 am

Hi lynn, My 1st thoughts were for elevation only .. I agree that the weight would be a concern if it were adj on both planes, from what i have observed it is already the balance where all the ugly handling comes from now..It is possible if your not in a hurry but i would have to get more titanium ..The bipod i had designed for my own project some years back was well forward of the present ones but with most of the common stocks that is not possible because of movement .I have not ever wanted to go the gimble style rest because i want the unit to be 100% positive for all the shots(unassisted) , but if you are willing to keep your hand on the control lever ,then i don't see a problem, even at 8 kgs rifle weight.As you can see ,remote ing the controls on any rest are not a problem ,just the weight ,, When i said NC ,i meant it ,got heaps of time ,Havn't shot a comp since NOV '08 still can't get a home for our 600/1000yd comp up here ..Will pm you a Ph #.. JR..Jeff RogersImage

bennf

Bi Pod

#10 Postby bennf » Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Lyn
I am in the process of a mass production run of 50 - 100 Bi Pods for sale at the NSWRA
They are light weight but have their adjustment on the side of the leg ( I will get some photos this week and post them. The nob that I can put on it is a bar style meaning easy to grip.
I have also seen the Bipod with the 90 deg diff on them and will look into how I could adapt such a drive if you need it.

Good to hear you are ready to get up and have a go again
ALL the best

Benn

Lynn Otto

#11 Postby Lynn Otto » Wed May 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Sorry I've been preoccupied for a couple days with other matters. :)

Thankyou everyone who has posted and those that sent pm's, it is so nice to know that there are people out there willing to help.

I now have to wait for my trusty technical advisor to figure what I will work best with from the available options.

Bennf, I would still like to see your units if you are able to get photos up, maybe from the available options we can sort out something that will work.

Again, thankyou everyone, it is much appreciated

Lynn

btm_54

#12 Postby btm_54 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 am

These might be worth a look
http://www.accu-shot.com/atlas_bipod.html
Regards,
btm_54

Return to “Equipment & Technical”