Tuners

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

Tuners

#1 Postby Matt P » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm

To those that use or have used barrel tuners how have you gone about setting it up ???
Is there a method that works or is just wind it in and out and see what happens ??

Thanks
Matt P

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Matt,

I originally started using tuners on my match rifles because safe high velocity is a premium at 1200 yards. For them, I tested loads over the chronograph until I arrived at one with particularly good spread & standard deviation, then tweaked the tuner, firstly to improve the group at 100 yards, then later to refine that tune at 1200 yards.

In the case of the new FS barrel I used at Bendigo, I fitted it with a Davies tuner for the hell of it (I've never tuned my FS barrels before). I was in a bit of a hurry & fired it with the load from the previous barrel & found it ran a spread of 11-12 & a ridiculously low SD. We had a club shoot the Saturday before Bendigo & a match rifle shoot that Sunday, so I shot it 5 times at 1000 yards, tweaking the tuner just a tad for an acceptable grouping - it's quite a heavy bugger compared to the KHGS ones I have on my match rifles.

That 1000 yard tune holds up back to 300 yards. I shot a 109 (11 shots) with it last Saturday at 300 on the championship target.

John

Tiger

Tuners

#3 Postby Tiger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:30 pm

G'day Matt,
When I first fitted my tuner, I wound it "all the way on" (it has a 40mm threaded fitting loctited onto the barrel) so that the back of the tuner was level with the back of the fitting on the barrel, then I put a target at 300m, fired a group, wound out one full revolution, and repeated, on the 3rd group there was a significant difference, at that point I went from full revolutions to 1/2's around the 4th revolution out, then tweaked it by 1/24th of a revolution to get the final result, thread pitch is 1mm on the fitting, therefore .041 of a mm makes a difference...

Dave

Butch Lambert

#4 Postby Butch Lambert » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:16 am

With our tuners I tune before installing the tuner to get a baseline. I install the tuner and start with the weights all the way out. I shoot 3 shot groups and turn it in 2 numbers for each group. It is very easy to see the sweet spot.
Butch Lambert
www.shadetreeea.com

bobeager

Tuners

#5 Postby bobeager » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:54 pm

I will preface this reply by saying that I have had no previous experience with "tuners" except to tune my 308 Fullbore Rifle some years ago by moving the forsight - and it seemed to work.

Acouple of weeks ago my mate Lex lane in Canberra made be a tuner of a design similar to the "davies" - a threaded brass sleave loctited to the barrel and a threaded weight made from a phos/bronze bushing.

I put this onto my 5.56 F std rifle which has a 28" LV 8 twist Kreiger barrel. Now this rifle has shot 99's on the open target at 300 and 400 yds and 98's at 500.

So what happended. I tested the setup at SSAA Canberra of the bench @ 100 metres. 3 shot groups were fired, moving the weight out about 10 thou of an inch. after about 4 targets, each group was giving 3/4 inch vertical. At about 3 parts of a full turn the group suddenly became a nice clover leaf. I shot another 4 or 5 groups using both SMK and nosler over 24 grn 2206H and the result was consistent.

So thats things stand at the moment. I shot this rifle at 300 yds on Saturday and so far so good. Very hard to ger a "good day" at Goulburn to get some idea of long range performance.

Its no fluke that the Goulburn District is WIND FARM CENTRAL.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”