PRE-FIT BARRELS FOR SAVAGE TARGET ACTION

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

#31 Postby IanP » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:31 am

Hi Schuller,

Most of our barrels come from the USofA and also to a lesser extent NZ with very few Oz barrel manufacturers. This being the case if this forum cant help why not register on the 6mmbr forum and get help from USA shooters.

A lot of the stuff over in the States can be sourced from suppliers here and the chances of getting a quick reponse for what your looking for are improved. A lot of the people posting here also post on the www.6mmbr.com forum as well. Give it a go like most of us do!

Pommy

Re: PRE-FIT BARRELS FOR SAVAGE TARGET ACTION

#32 Postby Pommy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:57 am

schuller wrote:Looking for info on availabilty of pre-fit barrels in Australia
for savage f class target action all barrel makers welcome,
got all the gear just want to buy and screw on, any feedback
would be much appreciated.

Good on ya Ian P someone actually answered the original question. With a befitting answer. :D

From me a big thank you. Was loosing faith it would ever happen.

If Schuller ever writes a fantasy novel I would definately buy a copy. :lol:

Why would anyone that has posted here need to apologise for voicing their opinion thats the whole point of a forum (isnt it) :roll:

I think this thread is getting old and run its coarse now can we let it go.

Lee Franklin (no pseudonyms etc., etc.)
Weatherby .308 sub moa

sixmill

#33 Postby sixmill » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:27 am

dennisj

Savage barrel

#34 Postby dennisj » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:42 am

Good day,

I am intend to re-barrel my F12 6.5 X .284. I want to shoot .308.
The barrel has fired 26 rounds, so in perfect nick.
I will probably sell the 6.5 barrel
:shock:
Dennis J

sixmill

#35 Postby sixmill » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:32 pm

dennisj,
What is a F12?, is that the F-class model? I may be interested in your 6.5 barrel if your selling, PM me.
cheers, sixmill

AlanF

#36 Postby AlanF » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 pm

sixmill wrote:dennisj, What is a F12?, is that the F-class model?...

sixmill,

The F-Class model in 6mmBR and 6.5-284 is called the 12F. Be aware that the Savage 6.5 barrel will probably be a thinner profile than most F-Open barrels (our club 6mmBR is).

Alan

Woody_rod

#37 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 am

I deliberately stayed out of this topic due to the tone of some of the posters.

The simple answer might be:

Buy a barrel from a US supplier, prechambered/threaded/headspaced and do so at your own risk for the reasons mentioned. The "risk" meaning, it may not shoot as well as you want due to the reasons stated by KHGS and Robert Chombart.

You might get lucky and find it shoots well, and the headspace is workable, then again, you might not.

There can be no assurances made here, as the buyer of the barrel in question is then trusting a barrel maker from another country. As KHGS says clearly, if you get a smith to fit the barrel, they can check other things that while they are doing the job.

bully_eye

#38 Postby bully_eye » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 am

I've never fully considered the implications of a prefit barrel on accuracy...and safety for that matter. But this thread has been enlightening. I am the proud owner of a custom F Open/Benchrest rifle put tpgether by a top gunsmith on a Stiller Python action. I thought it was just a pain in the arse to have to ship the whole rifle to him- interstate- when I want a new barrel chambered but have a much better understanding now of why he wants the rifle every time. I know this isn't relevant to the initial post but a little lateral movement can really impart some excellent information to the less technically savvy amongst us. I also own a Savage hunting rifle so it's given me a heads up to the pros and cons of various methods when it will inevitably need a rebarrel. Thanks all.

Michael...not a pseudonym either :lol:

johnk

#39 Postby johnk » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 am

KHGS wrote:I think I will go off somewhere & have a good laugh (or cry.

Cry, Keith, I've been laughing so much that I've run out of jocks! :oops:

cheers
John

Woody_rod

#40 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:09 am

I've never fully considered the implications of a prefit barrel on accuracy...and safety for that matter. But this thread has been enlightening. I am the proud owner of a custom F Open/Benchrest rifle put tpgether by a top gunsmith on a Stiller Python action. I thought it was just a pain in the arse to have to ship the whole rifle to him- interstate- when I want a new barrel chambered but have a much better understanding now of why he wants the rifle every time. I know this isn't relevant to the initial post but a little lateral movement can really impart some excellent information to the less technically savvy amongst us. I also own a Savage hunting rifle so it's given me a heads up to the pros and cons of various methods when it will inevitably need a rebarrel. Thanks all.

Michael, it is good the realisation is there. KHGS, Chombart and others effort has not gone to waste. For the sake of continuity and personal knowledge of the rifle, it is always worthwhile to send it to the person that built it if possible. The few weeks of transport, and some minor additional cost, sending a rifle shouldnt be a big deal.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”