buying from USA

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

buying from USA

#1 Postby guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:30 pm

Hi to all,
I was wondering if anyone has bought a scope or any other expensive item (eg a McMillan or Sinclair stock) by mail order from the US.
If so was it a hassel with customs or duty? Do you need any special paper work for customs? Thanks for any help.
Tony.

VickiMcc

#2 Postby VickiMcc » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:59 pm

Scopes and stocks do not need import permits. The problem you may face is having to pay Duty and or GST on items with a total dollar value over $400.00 Aust. Best check these dollar limits on the Aust Customs website.
Of course you may get some dickbrain in Customs who regard these sorts of items as firearm parts, in which case they will want an import permit. These are not too hard to obtain from local firearm registries. You have to fill out an application for a B709.

Having said this, it's not always cheaper to import these items yourself. By the time you add freight (UPS and Fedex will kill you on freight as they have a habit of adding extra charges. Best to get sent US Air or snail mail. Air will take around 5 - 10 days and Surface 10 - 12 weeks) and add the conversion fee to your credit card along with the possibility of having to pick up the item from customs(wherever they may be located) and maybe fill out customs clearance forms, phone calls etc, risk damage in the post.

Try our sponsor on homepage. He has a very large range of most things as well a speedy delivery service

Hope this helps

#3 Postby guest » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:26 am

thanks for that reply Paul. I was not actually trying to get something cheaper just something not available in Australia. I will try Pro Cal as I have bought from there before and have been very satisfied with the service.

Tony.

bjld

#4 Postby bjld » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 am

The difficult part in getting some items out of the US (eg scopes, brass) is when you need an export permit from their Directorate for Defense Trade Control (or something similar). This is most easily obtained when you get the exporter to apply for it, but it costs money (of course). Getting the B709A import permit from the police for Australian Customs is the easy part.

Sinclairs seem to be pretty mean on the fee they charge to process the application for an export permit. Grafs is cheaper.

Regards
Ben

a.JR

ED

#5 Postby a.JR » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:15 am

ED
Last edited by a.JR on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjld

#6 Postby bjld » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:04 pm

More paperwork? Where do you get this one from?
Thanks
Ben

US Export

#7 Postby Guest » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:43 pm

Hi Tony the rules have changed again the US requires and export permit for ANY firearm part over $100us so look around and see if you can get it here if you cant order it diect the only thing you have to worry about is about 6 weeks wait for the permit and any costs.

Cheers Bill

a.JR

ED

#8 Postby a.JR » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:45 pm

ED
Last edited by a.JR on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruce moulds

#9 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:38 pm

hi jeff,
please feel free to report on the broughtons at the end of their life.
they have a good reputation.
bruce.

lyndonwright

#10 Postby lyndonwright » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:29 pm

Its really easy, email me direct with any questions, sometimes they wont sell to you, if that is is the case give me shout, I have plenty of mates that will help you out in the states and buy it for you. Customs has now changed so its easer and cheaper. Thanks Lyndon wright

Return to “Equipment & Technical”