Flying F-Class

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Mark Hamersley

Flying F-Class

#1 Postby Mark Hamersley » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:55 am

Hi All

I'm looking for recommendations and advice on flying with an f-class rifle. I'm particularly interested in the best way to protect the rifle and scope during transport. I've seen baggage handlers throw things at (and miss!) baggage trolleys and would like to know how best to protect my gear.

Any suggestions on types of protective cases? Is it best to take the scope as carry-on baggage?

Thanks very much in advance.

Mark Hamersley

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:28 am

HI Mark

I have never flown with a rifle so i cant comment.

I can tell you that Pelican cases are designed for this rough treatment, used by the military and various others who require tough protection gear.

Pelican cases are dust and waterproof and also have humidistat valves built in. They are unfortunatly in the $550 bracket unless you get one direct from the US then you are looking around $300AU.

Hope this info helps a little.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#3 Postby Guest » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Hi Mark
When I fly I leave the scope on saves having to re-zero.I had Dave Kerr @ Progress Equipment in WA make my case for me when I went to Canada it fits 1 x rifle,spare scope,spare barrel and my front rest which I made so it could be disassembled to fit in the case and it comes in at a total of about 29kg.This case shows some fairly big "battle scars" but the rifle arrived unhurt and held zero no problem.
Where are planning to fly to? You need to get a permit from the airline and you can only take 5kg of loaded ammo with you,you can't take powder or primers with you if you plan to reload but there is no limit on empty cases and pills,also you can't take solvents either.
Hope this helps.

Matt P :)

Mark Hamersley

#4 Postby Mark Hamersley » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:24 am

Thanks Tony

I followed up and found some more info on Pelican cases on the net, they certainly look like the business. Thanks very much for the tip.

Thanks also Matt

I know Dave and will talk to him next I'm in for some Lapua 139's. No definite destination at this stage, but I will try to get to a Queens outside of WA next year (Nationals perhaps). Maybe try to time it to coincide with a family holiday? I'd look forward to the competition and catching up with some forum members too.

Again, thanks both for the helpful suggestions.

Mark Hamersley

John E

Rifle case

#5 Postby John E » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:11 am

Hi Mark,
I don't like to use this website to advertise, but since you asked the question, I am a case manufacturer in Melbourne --- a long way from you, I know.
Being a shooter myself, I like to think that the rifle cases that we make will stand up to a beating and still protect the gear inside -- one of them was run over by a 4WD, and the owner rang me to let me know that the RPA and the case were still in perfect condition, and they have also proved to be "baggage handler proof". I always leave the scopes on my rifles when they are in one of these cases.
I reckon the average case would weigh in at about 10 kg, but we are currently trialling a new material that shaves 3 plus kg off that.
Prices start at $250.00 plus GST, depending on size & fittings, & we will make it to the customer's size.
If you are interested, you will find our website on the membership list -- have a look in the design gallery at images #218, 225 & 235. Also, there will be a photo of the latest version in the next week or so. I would be pleased to hear from you if you think that we can be of any help.
Regards
John E

#6 Postby Guest » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:51 pm

Pictures of my case.

Matt P

Fire Arm parts

#7 Postby Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:14 pm

Hi Mark i would look at any Heavy case and set it up like Matt has 1 thing you have to take into consideration the airlines WILL NOT allow you to take a rifle scope onto the plane as cary on baggage. i have come accross this as they say someone else might bring on another piece ant then aparently an armorer must put it togethor. I dont know but any part that is an accessory or firearm component is BANNED from cary on baggage.

Better to know now than to have to put it in a case not designed for it at the airport.

Cheers Bill

Ken L

#8 Postby Ken L » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:44 pm

A certain un-named member of the FCWC team to Canada 2002 had problems with part of his powder thrower in his carry on luggage and another had problems with his Pipe (smokimg) bowl reamer/cleaner.
And we all had problems with the guncases being left behind on the return flight and poor Matt copped it both directions.

Ken L

Eric Bair

#9 Postby Eric Bair » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:08 am

On the trip to FCWC I removed the stock and scope for transport and carried the scope in the carry on, no problems on the way over (US to SA) but on the way back the inspector would not allow me to take the scope in the carry on, "part of a gun" he said. This caused a little consternation as the rifle had already been checked and had to be recalled and repacked.
I think disassembling the rifle reduces the stress on the components if it is mishandled in transit.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”