Ballistics Software

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

GRB

Ballistics Software

#1 Postby GRB » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:49 am

Does any one have an external ballistics software program that they use and would recomend?

Features I am looking for:
Lets me define Bullet wiight, BC, Velocity etc
Calculates out to 1200 metres
Allows me to mix and match units (ie: Velocity in FPS, range in metres etc)
Is intuitive (ie: Does not require a Phd in Computer science to figure)

Thank you all,

GB

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:11 am

Hi GB

I use the following systems: All of these allow Any zero range, BC, velocity, ranges out to infinity in M and Yds (at whatever increments), weather conditions etc. (the ATrag and Xbal gives drop data in inches, 8th clicks, 1/4 clocks, whole MOA, mill dot)

Sierra Infinity

ATrag (free trial version can be downloaded)

Xbal (Nightforce)

I find the ATrag to be the simplest to use, but its more of a portable field unit using a Palm or similar.

The Xbal is excellent and all peramiters can be manipulated but is a more complex system (not over difficult to get the hang of it)

The Sierra is accurate and very easy to use, it allso has a stored data base of hundreds of manufacturers projectiles in all calibers. An excellent all round program that you do not need a Phd for :lol:
Last edited by Tony Q on Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#3 Postby Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:25 am

Hello GRB,

Not wishing to condradict TonyQ----I have 2 systems

Sierra Infinity.

New Exact Ballistics By Arther J Pejsa..

The latter is by far the easiest to use AND in my opinion much more precise than the Sierra
( not as liberal as the Sierra)
I have actually set my Oehler chrony up at various distances out to 900 yd and obtained velocity figures.( not easy mind you )

The Pejsa Ballistics calculations were within 15 Ft/sec whereas the sierra was miles out at the extreme ranges (70/80 Ft/sec

I do not know where you might obtain the Pejsa but will make some Enquiries.

Regards

Barry Davies.

Tony Q

#4 Postby Tony Q » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:34 am

Your right barry.

I think it has to do with the data from the projectile manufacturers, depending on how they arrive at their BC figure. i.e. Sierra 155 SMK (0.455) and Lapua 155's Scenars (0.508) have very diferent BC's

I have found if you delete the BC reductions for down range you get better results.

Now, having said that .. i find the drop charts it creates within 1MOA of acctual range use (normal conditions).
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#5 Postby Guest » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:09 pm

GRB

Look up PEJSA BALLISTICS on the internet. You will probably get all the info you require.

Barry Davies

RAVEN

#6 Postby RAVEN » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:29 pm

I use RSI Shooting Lab it is very comprehensive and interfaces with the CED Millennium chrony just plug into PC and download the days chrony results upgrades are free and data base is regularly updated.
Go to the link and there is a very comprehensive manual this will explain what it can do :)

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ballistics.htm

Cheers
RB

Return to “Equipment & Technical”