Rodzilla top still legal here?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim N

Rodzilla top still legal here?

#1 Postby Tim N » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:11 pm

Hi All
Just checking if my rodzilla top is still legal in OZ?
Thanks
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

jsa54

Re: Rodzilla top still legal here?

#2 Postby jsa54 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:21 pm

G'day Tim,
Haven't seen anything from the OZ 'Powers That Be' advising anything to the contrary so I am still assuming that all is OK. Admittedly I changed my front rollers over to a 3" bag setup a couple of weeks ago but that was more to do with trying to deal with torque twist...seems to have taken a bit of the harshness out of the stock movement during recoil.
Cheers,
Alpie

Peter Hulett

#3 Postby Peter Hulett » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:06 am

Rodzilla tops are still legal in Australia
Peter

Tim N

#4 Postby Tim N » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:45 pm

jsa54 wrote:G'day Tim,
Haven't seen anything from the OZ 'Powers That Be' advising anything to the contrary so I am still assuming that all is OK. Admittedly I changed my front rollers over to a 3" bag setup a couple of weeks ago but that was more to do with trying to deal with torque twist...seems to have taken a bit of the harshness out of the stock movement during recoil.
Cheers,
Alpie

Hi John
Where do you get the replacement bags?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

PeteFox

#5 Postby PeteFox » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Tim
If you are talking about the genuine pivoting ones, you have to go to Rodzilla in the US. The postage will kill you.

There's a work around. The sheath that holds the sand is a piece of hollow braided rope, you can also pull the centre out of a cored braided rope.
The synthetic sheath can be sealed off with a hot pair of pliers after filling.
The aluminium pivoting part is easy to make.
Pete

Tim N

#6 Postby Tim N » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:54 pm

Hey Pete
I was after the bags that replace the rollers
Thanks

Matt P

#7 Postby Matt P » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:01 pm

Peter Hulett wrote:Rodzilla tops are still legal in Australia
Peter

For now, it's been banned in the US and if the lobby group get ICFRA to follow suit who knows ??
Matt P

KHGS

#8 Postby KHGS » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 pm

Matt P wrote:
Peter Hulett wrote:Rodzilla tops are still legal in Australia
Peter

For now, it's been banned in the US and if the lobby group get ICFRA to follow suit who knows ??
Matt P

It should be pointed out that it is only the roller guides that have been banned in the US not the top.
Keith H.

Matt P

#9 Postby Matt P » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:40 am

Hi Keith
From my understanding the US have adopted sandbags only, as the SEB with delrin sides have also been banned, not sure if the felt sides are legal or not. This seems to be driven by the noisy minority (what a surprise, in this day and age).
Matt P

PeteFox

#10 Postby PeteFox » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:34 am

The felt sides have also been made illegal in the US. I can understand some people's attitude to the rollers, but making the felt illegal is someone with an axe to grind, stifling innovation
The new replacement is this:
Screenshot_20240301_073636_Brave.jpg

bags are at different heights to try to reduce torqueing. I don't like that exposed screw head near the stock.
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KHGS

#11 Postby KHGS » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:06 am

Matt P wrote:Hi Keith
From my understanding the US have adopted sandbags only, as the SEB with delrin sides have also been banned, not sure if the felt sides are legal or not. This seems to be driven by the noisy minority (what a surprise, in this day and age).
Matt P

Correct, I do stand corrected I did not do my research correctly!!!!!
Keith H.

jsa54

#12 Postby jsa54 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:10 pm

Tim N wrote:
jsa54 wrote:G'day Tim,
Cheers,
Alpie

Hi John
Where do you get the replacement bags?

Hi Tim,
Sorry about the tardy reply mate, haven't been on here for a while.
I purchased both the new head unit and 3" Edgewood bag as a package directly from "Rod"zilla; his bag price was far better than anywhere else. He also followed up just a couple of days later, along with an apology, with a taller front post that he forgotten to include because the 3" bag top is somewhat higher than the original 'tiny' bags. Very happy with the customer service/focus.
Shipping was US$50.50 but it was here within days and overall, still considerably cheaper than if I had bought the bag separately.

Cheers,
Alpie

PeteFox

#13 Postby PeteFox » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 pm

If Australia follows the ICFRA rules, then the roller tops will become illegal here too.
Below is an extract from the Minutes of the ICFRA F Class Committee Meeting (26/03/2023)

h. Rule F2.4 and F2.8 - Use of front rest tops that contain no sand and is not
deformable – e.g. Rodzilla Top
The Rodzilla Top was discussed in detail and is currently not against the ICFRA rules.
The meeting felt that these designs were against the spirit of F-Class and lean in the
direction of rail-gun setups.
Action: Rules 2.4 and 2.8 need to be amended to prohibit the use of side-roller top
designs like the Rodzilla. The simplest is to require that all points where a front rest
top is in contact with the rifle fore-end should be able to be deformed when applying
pressure/force to it.

So any points in contact with the rifle must be deformable, which keeps the felt sides legal.

Pete

Return to “Equipment & Technical”