Carbon wrapped barrels

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Carbon wrapped barrels

#1 Postby macguru » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:07 pm

Are there and issues around bringing Carbon wrapped barrels to my gunsmith for chambering that I should know about before I buy one (apart from the fact that they are a bit expensive) ?
id quod est

MarkS

Re: Carbon wrapped barrels

#2 Postby MarkS » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:10 pm

Length is set - as in there is an area of exposed steel at each end that smith can trimbut as an example you can't buy a 28" and have it cut down to 20"

There are only a few reputable brands and they are not cheap
Going broke one primer at a time

Frank Green

#3 Postby Frank Green » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:23 am

Don't chuck/clamp on the carbon fiber is the biggest no no!

If you cerakote the ends I would recommend a low heat setting and or just let it air dry. Me myself....for the really small amount of steel showing... leave it in the natural finish.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

macguru

#4 Postby macguru » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:56 am

I think i will just keep looking for a regular stainless barrel
id quod est

Frank Green

#5 Postby Frank Green » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:54 pm

macguru wrote:I think i will just keep looking for a regular stainless barrel

They also vibrate more....or if you will have more harmonics. I feel it can play into accuracy issues but hard to diagnose that.

Everyone says it makes the barrel stiffer but I disagree from what I see.

Does the CF barrels have a market or a purpose? I'll say yes but in my opinion it doesn't fit every application. Too me it's also one of those things that a guy has to have the latest and greatest next year at deer hunting camp for show and tell. If that's you... knock yourself out. LOL! Doesn't mean the guns better...

Daveh

#6 Postby Daveh » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:27 pm

I'm no expert as far a barrels go but have had experience with vacuum infusion of carbon fibre panels and parts. I have always been impressed with how stiff a correctly laid flat panel ends up and notably how it "rings" like a tuning fork rings. That to me means harmonics as in barrel harmonics if it is too stiff.

I am surprised that I haven't seen carbon composite barrels using innegra in the layup. We used it to stop catastrophic failure in carbon fibre layups and allow flexibility/dampening without loosing strength..

Wait till someone realises they can mix basalt fibre in with carbon or utilise basalt instead of carbon.. The latest PRS rifles will all need Basalt barrels.. Back to the stone age... Tongue in cheek!

Dave

Return to “Equipment & Technical”