angel 80

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

jim

angel 80

#1 Postby jim » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi all
Can anyone help with the history and general opinion on the angel action.
I think i posted this question in the wrong forum and didnt get any answers so if anyone can help it would be much app.
jim

Cameron Mc

#2 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:49 pm

Jim, the Angel80 was made during the early 1980's for a short period. They were made in left and right hand versions. The very fisrt ones had slightly longer tangs than the later ones.

I am not sure how many were made. I have owned 3 over the years and all were well made. Very strong and well machined receiver. The bolt is quite similar to an Omark with a separate bolt head. The main downside of the action is poor primary extraction but this can be easily fixed. After market triggers were/are available.

They are still in use by some high profile A Grade fullbore shooters.

I have more info if you need it.

Hope this helps, Cameron

richmac

Angel 80 Action

#3 Postby richmac » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi Jim
The Angel 80 was introduced back in the 80S.The guy that was the brains behind it was Billy Angel.
They are a very good action with a different recoil system compared to other rifles.
Quite a few shooter including myself are quite reluctant to sell them as I have 3.The are very easy to bed and have a great trigger system on them (original).
The only problem can be is if the firing pin breaks,this can be easily fixed.Parts these days are like hens teeth.
I hope I have helped you Jim......
Regards Rich

jim

angel

#4 Postby jim » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks for that guys,Cameron what else can you tell me and how do you fix the possible extractor problems.
cheers jim

Cameron Mc

#5 Postby Cameron Mc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Jim

Like Rich said the firing pin can break after a lot of rounds and is an easy fix.

The extractor is the same as an Omark so no problems with supply there.

I also liked the original trigger after some work and fine tuning.

The recoil system is a slot cut into the bottom of the receiver. The recoil lug is epoxied into the stock. Similar to Anschutz 54 smallbore. I did away with this system and used Remington style lug between barrel and receiver.

To fix the primary extraction I fitted a hardened collar to the root of the bolt handle. This involves a bit of trial and error. Note, some actions won't need this attention if the bolt handle contacts the receiver on opening.

The receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

If you can find a good one at a reasonable price you shouldn't go wrong

Cameron

Robert Chombart

#6 Postby Robert Chombart » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:40 pm

Cameron Mc wrote:Jim

Like Rich said the firing pin can break after a lot of rounds and is an easy fix.

The extractor is the same as an Omark so no problems with supply there.

I also liked the original trigger after some work and fine tuning.

The recoil system is a slot cut into the bottom of the receiver. The recoil lug is epoxied into the stock. Similar to Anschutz 54 smallbore. I did away with this system and used Remington style lug between barrel and receiver.

To fix the primary extraction I fitted a hardened collar to the root of the bolt handle. This involves a bit of trial and error. Note, some actions won't need this attention if the bolt handle contacts the receiver on opening.

The receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

If you can find a good one at a reasonable price you shouldn't go wrong

Cameron

I saw the Angel prototype at Bisley in the hands of a fellow I do not remember the name, and who was the marketing man of the venture (I think, all what I remember of him is that he was a great shooter and valiant Calvados drinker!!).
I had the opportunity to see an other one more recently.
The design pleased me generally, I noticed what Cameron indicates.
Personally, I liked the recoil lug solution;, behind the barrel shank instead as ahead of it.
This recoil control system was a copy of the Lienhardt/Grunig-Elmiger principle.
I liked very much the Trigger Guard-accessory rail one-piece system..
What I suggested at the time was to have the recoil lug bar going down up to under the stock, where it could have been screwed on the said trigger guard, this not preventing it to be also glued in the wood as it was.
Those were simple observations in a simple conversation...
R.G.C
R.G.C.

jim

angel

#7 Postby jim » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks guys .
Cameron if you have any photos love to see them
Nice to hear from you too robert ,how is the inch coming along.
cheers
jim

Robert Chombart

Re: angel

#8 Postby Robert Chombart » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 pm

jim wrote:Thanks guys .
Cameron if you have any photos love to see them
Nice to hear from you too robert ,how is the inch coming along.
cheers
jim

Coming along slowly, Jim.....coming along...
My old memory somtimes makes sparks: the gentleman I mentoned was Geoff Ayling.....
R.G.C
R.G.C.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”