Bore Tech

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Chopper

Bore Tech

#1 Postby Chopper » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:17 am

Gday all
Just wondering your thoughts on Bore Tech Eliminator
It states leaving in for a Short term rust preventative and I think Short time Only ?
Chopper

KHGS

Re: Bore Tech

#2 Postby KHGS » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:32 pm

All I can say is that I have used Boretech for a number of years without any downside. I have regularly left it in overnight to no detriment, but I would not rely on it for rust prevention. I apply it with a stiff nylon brush, don’t use a bronze brush it will destroy it. It is as good as any solvent I have used for copper removal.
Keith H.

John Weigel

#3 Postby John Weigel » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:07 pm

There seem to be several copper dissolving solvents that work to at least some extent when left soaking in barrel. Is it just me, or are there no carbon dissolving agents that gain any progress when left to soak in barrel? It almost seems like there is a superficial layer of“black stuff“ that immediately is collected on first and second patches with CLR, or any of several other agents I have tried. I’ve tried leaving these in the barrel overnight without gaining beyond the initial scrub out. It requires brushing, and/or abrasives on patches to get the damn stuff out. Unless there is a better idea, which I would welcome, it seems that the scrubbing required to remove carbon might as well be conducted with a copper solvent, the detergent nature of Sweets being a possible best choice, and be done with carbon treatment incidentally after that easy first flush of CLR. ?

CamoWhamo

#4 Postby CamoWhamo » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:42 pm

I've got a shelf full of what seems like every possible brand of solvent on the market. Most of them are gathering dust because they never lived up to their marketing claims,
The only combo that reliably works for me is to start with Bore Tech Eliminator C4 as step 1 to tackle the carbon fouling.
The C4 is also a mild copper solvent and is usually enough on my quality barrels but if I do need a stronger copper solvent I have found that the regular Bore Tech Eliminator as step 2 is just as effective on copper as their dedicated copper solvent (Cu2).
Last edited by CamoWhamo on Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weairy

#5 Postby Weairy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:32 pm

Eliminator is brilliant stuff. I generally brush through about 12 times with a copper brush, patch out, repeat, store with either the Copper Eliminator or Hoppes in the barrel. Quick wipe through with Eliminator again next time it comes out, and away we go. Good pasting every 400ish rounds to remove any hard fouling.
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

dazza284

#6 Postby dazza284 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:31 pm

Bronz brush is fine just run it under the hot tap after use and it will last just as long as normal

Chopper

#7 Postby Chopper » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:27 am

Well after an experiment with a few barrel off cuts I Would Not leave in the barrel for 2 weeks or more as recommended by Bore Tech
They state 2 weeks protection and that appears to be True
Chopper

Return to “Equipment & Technical”