Savage 12 Actions for F-Open

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

KentLC

Savage 12 Actions for F-Open

#1 Postby KentLC » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:24 pm

Hi All,

Have been out of the game for a while and getting back into F-Open. It’s changed quite a bit since I was shooting in opens/queens and shooting F Std. I’m currently shooting an Omark in 6BR which is accurate and great fun to shoot. Especially good for my eldest boy who is now shooting with me.

I have two Savage 12 Actions. I am curious if these will hang heavy straight profile barrels or if I am wasting my time and should move on to a Barnard, BAT or Borden or “other” custom action.

Cheers
Kent

willow

Re: Savage 12 Actions for F-Open

#2 Postby willow » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:12 pm

To be perfectly honest, I'd go straight to a purpose built F-Open action. If you can get your hands on a Barnard/Borden/Kelbly you will be well served and won't look back.

KentLC

#3 Postby KentLC » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:54 pm

Pretty much what I am thinking Willow, thanks.

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:05 pm

There have been a few used F class guns coming up for sale lately, so keep a regular eye out on the gun sales section.

KentLC

#5 Postby KentLC » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:51 am

Thanks, will keep an eye out.

fapope

#6 Postby fapope » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:02 am

My view. There isn't really much of a cost saving in the 'long term'. Especially if you want upgrade from the Savage after a couple of years? A couple in our Club use Savage's and with a good custom barrel they can shoot very well. Accuracy is nearly all in the barrel not the action isn't it. Evan the factory barrels are normally OKish. Most however eventually move to a Barnard (or other custom action) It is more of a case of buy once, cry once. Buy a Barnard and never need to upgrade. Get most of your money back if you ever sell. Swap barrels, bolts and calibres easy. Don't be the poor man who pays for everything twice. Just to confuse the issue further. Why not shoot just Factory Class for a few years first. How? Sell the Savage actions for what you can get. Buy a new $1,000 Howa heavy Barrel in a factory 6mm calibre or .223 if on a tight budget. Then shoot/reload the most out of it every week for a couple of years. If you finances improve add a Seb Neo and a Nightforce scope over time. Then decide where to go with shooting.

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:58 am

I will argue quite a bit for a good action. Being true and timed with correct firing pin fall helps ensure consistent ignition. I have had heaps of different actioned rifles and it was easy to see the better ones in hindsight. Yes a good barrel makes a difference, but actions are very important. If I could afford to do it again I would have no hesitation with a stolle panda, BAT, Pierce, Defiance or Borden action

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:57 pm

Savage 12's are the AK47 of the F - class world, they feel and look little look a little ...... a lot rough and agricultural compared to the fancy stuff but they can definitely get the job done if you put the work into tuning and shooting.

There's a special kind of malevolent joy you get when you beat custom guns with a Savage too :D

DenisA

#9 Postby DenisA » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:02 pm

Ohh and to answer your question, I run 4 Savage 12 Fclass guns. 1 x 30" and 3 x 32", all straight profile Mc Gowan Precision pre-fits (1.125" not 1.25"). 3 with 500g tuners. The actions handle the weight and length just fine.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”