Sandbags

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Simon C

Sandbags

#1 Postby Simon C » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi all,

Is there any reason (rule related) why I cannot use a piece of 1" or 2" stiff foam underneath my rear bag?? I sometimes find the mound angle a little troublesome and want to avoid squeezing the bag too much. I know I can play around with bipod height but I like to stay as low as possible and dont like modifying my height if possible.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:54 pm

Simon,

Good question, and one that a lot of people ask, and are surprised at the answer. From what I understand, you can't use anything other than one or two sandbags in either Std or Open. I'm not sure how that rule came about - multiple sandbags don't work well for me. Hopefully this is one aspect where we change to the FCWC rules - they allow other objects under the sandbag. What I've done as a workaround with my F-Open rifle is to have a height adjustable butt, rather than adjusting the height of the bag. However this wouldn't be legal on a Std rifle. If you are going to use multiple sandbags, make the bottom one "dish-topped" so that the top bag sits in it, and pack them down firmly before you start shooting. Otherwise your shots may be high until the bags settle.

Alan

Simon C

#3 Postby Simon C » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:59 pm

Thanks Alan...I thought as much. I think the extra bag will add too much height for my comfortable position....I maight try overloading the bag to add that little more height and also moving furhter fwd on the mound!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

S.Scheske

#4 Postby S.Scheske » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:23 am

Simon C wrote:...also moving furhter fwd on the mound!

Yeah that might work :lol: dont worry im sure tony wont shoot you.....and if you ever shoot at bisley...its much worse....trust me

you could be shooting at 400yrds and there can be another group behind you shooting 600yrds Scary stuff at first but you get used to it :)
Sam Scheske
CTRC
2004 ADFC Rifle Team

a.JR

ED

#5 Postby a.JR » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:13 am

ED
Last edited by a.JR on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#6 Postby Guest » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:34 pm

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:46 pm

Matt,

There's no reason why we couldn't start simultaneous polls on these questions. And they probably wouldn't need to be segregated for Std and Open, because I get the feeling there won't be opposition to (a) same time limits as TR (b) any object under rear bag, provided it doesn't touch the rifle.

And I have two more :
(c) portable benchrests only for certified medical reasons (d) front rest spikes up to 50mm deep provided minimal damage to mound.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#8 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:58 pm

Hi Alan

Trev and I have agreed to disagree on the time limit issue, he things there are good reasons for TR needing longer and I have to admit I don't think I've ever come close to needing all af my time but....... The area that I feel is unfair is that F Std get TR times when on THAT target when Open don't receive the same allowance. F Class should have the same allowance regardless of target.

Now, I'm not too sure I would like to see 50mm spikes used on the Lower Light range which is not grassed but a very fine compacted gravel type surface, I suspect careless use would indeed see some damage done. This is just speculation as its not my home range and maybe some are using spiked feet there????

No argument on the benches or rear bags.

Lynn

Simon C

#9 Postby Simon C » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:00 pm

Thanks Jeff...thats an innovative suggestion. I like the versatility of the 2 layers to give u options. The variations of mound angles can be a little frustrating at times.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:14 pm

Lynn Otto wrote:...I'm not too sure I would like to see 50mm spikes used on the Lower Light range which is not grassed but a very fine compacted gravel type surface, I suspect careless use would indeed see some damage done...

Lynn,

While I'm not saying that we should automatically adopt international rules, here is section 9.23 of the FCWC rules :

The rest(s) or base(s) for each front rest may have up to three “feet”. Each such “foot” may terminate in a spike, which may be pressed into the ground by up to 50mm (about 2”) provided this causes no significant permanent harm to the firing point.

Shooters are doing this now - it probably needs to be formalised. Regarding Lower Light, the above rule would allow the RO to say no if "significant or permanent harm" was likely.

Alan

Lynn Otto

#11 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:24 pm

Alan

That's fair enough and as I said I not sure how this would impact on that particular range anyway. I guess its probably not worth discussing in too much depth since we will probably end up with these rules and then no discussion will be required. Hmm, that sounded almost a little sour, not intended that way, I'm not sure I have formed an opinion on which rules yet, there's bits about both I like and dislike, oh well.

Lynn

Mark Hamersley

#12 Postby Mark Hamersley » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:55 pm

Hi All

For a Swanbourne (WA) perspective, I just measured the spikes on my rest and they are currently set at 130mm, they get adjusted shorter depending on the mound. The issue here is the deep spongy grass on some of the mounds - 50mm spikes would give you little advantage over none at all in some places. Same issue with rear bags. I have seen some use wooden plates (complete with their own spikes) as a base for rear bags just to get some stability. I just use a single rear bag and find the most stable place for it, then position my rest from there.

Alan

A 50mm limit would be a problem here, but if it comes into the rules so be it. Otherwise I agree with your comments on a, b and c from your earlier post.

Mark Hamersley

Tony Q

#13 Postby Tony Q » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:11 am

Ive known shooters using Solid foam, Note books, folded jumpers and even a box of ammo.

As long as its not solid material you should be able to use whatever under the rear sandbag as long as its not mechanically adjustable.

The size of the 'packer' should be limited to the size of the bags footprint or not much larger.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#14 Postby Guest » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:04 am

Mark,

There would be no need for a 50mm limit, the key point being "provided this causes no significant permanent harm to the firing point".

Alan

#15 Postby Guest » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:53 pm

ed
Last edited by Guest on Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”