DIY FTR Weight saving

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Daveh

DIY FTR Weight saving

#1 Postby Daveh » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:01 pm

Just an info share for anyone needing to shave some weight off their setup.
This basic mod to my Joypod took 160 grams off.
I used a piece of carbon fibre tube and turned up an alloy knob for one end and replicated the knurled clamp end of the Joypod handle for the other end.
The clamp was a 6mm hole through the middle and an 8mm thread on the outside. I reused the Joypod joystick cone nut on the new joystick. Nothing original harmed!

Both ends glued in with marine Sikaflex. Yes I should have used black but the white tube was open.

Remember 100g in 10 places saves a kg..
Tried it out last weekend and it worked fine.

Dave

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cheech

Re: DIY FTR Weight saving

#2 Postby cheech » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:41 am

Hi Dave,
I love the idea and it looks great as well . Where do you source the carbon tube from ? And is the length same as the original ?

Well done it would help many out there looking for weight savings

Cheers

Daveh

#3 Postby Daveh » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:11 pm

Cheech,
Carbon is from Enhanced Composites. (QLD business) 12mm OD X 10mm ID. About 30$ for a metre. Weight is 55grams.

I made it a bit shorter as I have a long reach. I also wanted to try it straight first as the standard one annoys me when it twists around. If you made it 200mm longer it only adds another 12grams.

It could easily have the same kink as the original by making a small alloy bend and using two pieces of carbon.

Only used it the first time last Sunday and it worked great. The original bar is in the bag "incase" and I recon it can stay there.

Dave

cheech

#4 Postby cheech » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:09 pm

Daveh wrote:Cheech,
Carbon is from Enhanced Composites. (QLD business) 12mm OD X 10mm ID. About 30$ for a metre. Weight is 55grams.

I made it a bit shorter as I have a long reach. I also wanted to try it straight first as the standard one annoys me when it twists around. If you made it 200mm longer it only adds another 12grams.

It could easily have the same kink as the original by making a small alloy bend and using two pieces of carbon.

Only used it the first time last Sunday and it worked great. The original bar is in the bag "incase" and I recon it can stay there.

Dave

Hi Dave ,

I’ve purchased my carbon tube from your recommended supply , upon arrival it weighs exactly like you said 55grams on my AND 300i scale ( autotrickler scale in gram mode ) .

But my handles - I have 2 Joypods * , weigh only 43grams and the other 44 grams , seems a big difference to your handle weight of 193 grams ? Yours must be solid Rod maybe ?

Anyway I’m still going to make a new carbon handle as it still will shave off some weight regardless :D :D

Daveh

#5 Postby Daveh » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:44 pm

Cheech
My handle is definately solid alloy rod. Mine must be a different model than your two.
Sorry to put you on a bum steer.

The only thing I can say now is it will have your own custom look!

Wish I knew how the legs were held in. I'm tempted to change them over to carbon. Not for anything other than the cool look.

My old bipod (home made) was all carbon.

Dave

cheech

#6 Postby cheech » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:05 pm

Daveh wrote:Cheech
My handle is definately solid alloy rod. Mine must be a different model than your two.
Sorry to put you on a bum steer.

The only thing I can say now is it will have your own custom look!

Wish I knew how the legs were held in. I'm tempted to change them over to carbon. Not for anything other than the cool look.

My old bipod (home made) was all carbon.

Dave

All good here mate , you made an improvement and cared to share it on here . The carbon suppliers website is very interesting and I also thought of other parts of the joypod that could be modified for lightness without strength compromised. It’s great to be innovative, maybe Seb might do a carbon special one day

And yes it will look good :)

Return to “Equipment & Technical”