DIY Case Drying/Draining Stand

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

IanP

DIY Case Drying/Draining Stand

#1 Postby IanP » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:54 am

I use an ultrasonic cleaner and it works great. I get clean cartridges in 5 minutes from my Jaycar (100W model) ultrasonic cleaner. Well, its actually 10 minutes as I neutralise for 5 minutes as well. My problem is drying them off after they are cleaned. The outside of the cases are quickly dried by rolling them on paper towel. The inside of the cases need to drain efficiently.

I dont want to dry them with a hair dryer, I just want to leave them overnight to dry by evaporation. Problem is they dont drain or dry very well and they are difficult to leave standing on the kitchen sink. I solved the problem by converting a MTM Case-Guard into a drying stand.

Step 1: Drill holes into bottom of case guard that allow the neck of the cartridge to protrude. This allows 50 cartridges to drain naturally while contained in the small space of the case guard.

Step 2: Remove the lid from the case guard to convert into a stand to allow draining. Cut back the 2 ridges that close the lid to where they join onto the plastic wall. This will allow the stand you have made accept the insertion of the top part. I drilled some holes to allow better air flow but they are not really necessary as the cases vent air thru the primer holes.

I know it looks like I chewed the bottom section out with my teeth but hell its a prototype.

Step 3: Use Selleys Clear Silicon or whatever glue you prefer to stick the stand you made from the lid onto the bottom of your case dryer. Fill up with 50 cases (after glue dries) place on paper towel and your done.

I like this dryer because it uses very little space and allows natural drying not corroding to take place efficiently. I would not make a drying stand out of wood with nails to support the cases because its inefficient and dissimilar metals like to corrode thru electrolysis.

I hope you find it useful in your case prep regime! I couldn't fit my 80gr 223R Sierra MK topped cartridges into these cases as the height was to great so this dryer idea of mine finally gave me a use for them.
Last edited by IanP on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

VickiMcc

#2 Postby VickiMcc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 pm

Try rinsing them in metho and letting them dry naturally

Paul

IanP

#3 Postby IanP » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Even using metho the drying rack could still be used to drain them and let air circulate, but metho would speed things up if you were in a hurry. On second thoughts when the cases come out from their rinse in water if you then rinsed in metho wouldn't the metho be on the surface of the water.

Maybe not such a good idea?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”