Chambering choice for newbie

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

CBH Australia

Chambering choice for newbie

#1 Postby CBH Australia » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:55 pm

As a long time shooter I'm starting to attend the range more for a club shoot. Mostly it's benchrest style shooting and I can do F Class with another club if I want. That might give me the option to shoot as a visitor with some clubs in my travels.

I have a Nielsen target rifle in .308 and I'm considering buying or building something a little newer.

I'm currently considering .260rem and .284w as chambering options. These are current preference but subject to change. But these do appeal to me personally.

I think I read the smaller calibres like 6.5 are better in the wind than larger calibres. Is that right? Is that why some competitors have multiple calibre rifle's?

A lot of the use will be at 200 but planning to attend some F Class and hoping to learn some long range skills.

Mick_762

Re: Chambering choice for newbie

#2 Postby Mick_762 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:45 pm

If your planning on FCLASS - you will go straight to F Open- A Grade with anything other than a .308 or a .223.

If you stay with the .308 you at least A, B and C grade to work with and with 155gn projectiles is a proven combination out to 1000 yards. It is cheaper to run too and you will learn the wind corrections and elevation changes as you go. Another benefit is that other shooters will be able to give you some advice along the way as many of the F Class shooters still run a .308 so its a commonality between you all.

If you wanted to just go all out - 6.5/284 or a SAUM
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

Barossa_222

#3 Postby Barossa_222 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:29 pm

My choice from those 2 would be the straight 284. Cases are now available from Lapua, heaps of data around on how to tune them. Projectiles may be an issue, but they are quite capable with a 160gr+ pill if you can't get 180s.

The other one to consider which is a great newbie caliber is 6.5x47 Lap. Easy to tune, off the shelf Lap brass, mild to shoot and deadly accurate. Have to do a bit of work in the wind compared to the 7mms, but barrel life is outstanding.

BC (ballistic coefficient) and speed are the two over riding characteristics for being "better in the wind". Larger calibers are able to drive a higher BC bullet at a faster speed, this makes them "easier" to steer. A smaller caliber will be easier to shoot (ie less recoil), but may take more work on the windage knob all other things considered equal. As true today as it was before, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Good luck with it.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:12 pm

CBH,

Probably the first decision (before deciding on a chambering) is which of the F-Classes you think will suit you best. There are 3 types of F-Class and there's also a new discipline called Sporting Hunting. I would suggest you go to a well-attended NRAA affiliated range and ask a lot of questions about the classes and have a look at the different types of equipment. Only F-Open class and Sporting/Hunting allow cartridges other than than 308 Win and 223 Rem. Then you'll need to decide what level of competition you want to aim for. This'll determine how much effort and $ you'll need to put in. And if its F-Open for example, the calibre choice needs to be a part of that decision. For the top shooters, something at least as capable in the wind as a 284 Win is just about a given. Whereas for club and occasional prize meeting shoots, something like a 6.5 x 47 Lapua is much cheaper to run and may still win occasionally if the stars align.

There is a poll of forum readers on the most popular all-round F-Open calibres of recent years HERE. On the same forum there are also polls for the best rated short and long range calibres. Hope you find what you're looking for.

BATattack

#5 Postby BATattack » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:53 am

.308 and shoot FTR. .308 is easy to tune and easy to get consumables for. You can use any bullet in FTR and any trigger weight. Barrels last a long time so plenty of time to enjoy your shooting before running in and developing a new one. FTR is fairly portable and you don't need a $2000 front rest to be competitive. It's challenging to shoot and being an internationally recognised discipline so you can shoot it rite from club to world championship level.

CBH Australia

#6 Postby CBH Australia » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:11 am

Sounds like I'm ordering a Bipod for F/Tr The Nielsen .308 has the Anschutz rail.

Budget is a consideration but I'm keen to still get at least one one competitive rifle.

I'm finally at the point I can spend a little more time and money on my hobby.

I missed out on a .284 that would have been good.

I was reading about the 6.5 super LR last night. More research required.

I do like 7mils.

I wasn't aware the going into F open starts at A grade. I'm not at that level but hoping to be somewhat competitive in time.

Still keen on ideas and discussion around this.

Rich4

#7 Postby Rich4 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:28 pm

284 should be fine on your existing action if you want to go switch barrel

CBH Australia

#8 Postby CBH Australia » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:36 pm

If the action, optics and shooter can all prove themselves I may look into a switch barrel down the track but I would still like to consider an F Open rifle with the appropriate stock etc.

Current rifle is a short throat and ejection port in .308 . If it proves to be an F Standard capable or F/TR competitive I might leave it alone and find a second rifle to stretch my limits and budget

saum2

#9 Postby saum2 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:13 pm

You intend to use mostly at 200 as per your post, 6 Dasher will do the job easily. The trigger will be the handicap if it's not that adjustable. A switch barrel with Dasher and 284W would be ideal.

CBH Australia

#10 Postby CBH Australia » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:53 pm

saum2 wrote:You intend to use mostly at 200 as per your post, 6 Dasher will do the job easily. The trigger will be the handicap if it's not that adjustable. A switch barrel with Dasher and 284W would be ideal.

I don't know anything of the 6mm Dasher though I've heard of it.

I'm pretty set on sticking with standard chambering where dies and cases are easily sourced and perhaps easy to sell if I change direction.

The humble .223 is accurate to 200 .

Not sure on the switch barrel yet but I do want to learn some long range skills and have plans to shoot a few long range club matches

saum2

#11 Postby saum2 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:11 am

Dasher brass is readily available as are the dies and you wouldn't lose on resale. But, for 200yards just go straight 6BR, super accurate for that distance. Switching barrels is easy once you have been shown or seen it done and the right equipment. Takes about 5 minutes to switch barrels once the chamberings have been done for the action.
Last edited by saum2 on Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim N

#12 Postby Tim N » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:56 am

If 200 is your main distance to shoot then I'd consider a smaller calibre 6mm BR or any of the variants - I shoot a dasher which is great fun, low recoil and competitive out to 1000yds in reasonable conditions.
Otherwise the 284 is very much considered the work horse of F Open with many major comp wins.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

CBH Australia

#13 Postby CBH Australia » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Ok, what's people's thoughts on the 6mm Dasher, PPC, 6BR etc vs .243 or .260?

It's correct that I mostly shoot to 200 but the idea is to start on some longer ranges very soon.

willow

#14 Postby willow » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:07 pm

CBH Australia wrote:Ok, what's people's thoughts on the 6mm Dasher, PPC, 6BR etc vs .243 or .260?

It's correct that I mostly shoot to 200 but the idea is to start on some longer ranges very soon.

You can quickly overwhelm yourself if you get caught up in all the calibre choices out there - that's the first thing to be aware of. I like to build redundancy into my gear, so if I was planning on shooting longer ranges, and wanted off the shelf dies, brass etc, then I'd look at the following options:

.308 - it has been mentioned already, but it is tried and true, you can shoot FTR and not have to spend $2500 on a decent coaxial front rest.

IF you don't mind buying a front coaxial rest, then consider the below:

6mm Dasher - awesome cartridge, awesome accuracy. Alpha and Peterson do factory brass, otherwise you will need to muck around with false shoulders on Lapua brass, but once formed it's as good as gold. Barrel life is not as good as the 6.5 which seems to hit more of a sweet spot.

6.5x47 lapua - if you don't mind buying a coaxial for F-Open, this is a great short to midrange cartridge with awesome brass and barrel life. It loses out to the 7mm at the longs.

284 winchester - tried and true, good ballistics, and with Lapua making straight 284 brass, along with Peterson, brass options are decent and this is the calibre you will find many shooters using in F-Open

Out of these, I'd go straight to the 284 and be done with it. It's the F-Open workhorse that just keeps on keeping on.

CBH Australia

#15 Postby CBH Australia » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:48 pm

@willow

I'm not ready to buy a coaxial rest or joystick rest until I'm convinced I'm sticking with it..

I like rifles and accessories but it's easy to let it get out of hand.

I'm happy to buy another rifle but can use the .308 Nielsen and will but I'm hoping to up my game and test my skill a bit too.

A gunsmith target shooter I know is keen on the 7mmSAUM. But looking into it a little more I'm keen to stay with a .308 bolt face.

I have some standard chambering s across Varmint and Hunting rifles as so hoping to either use "Standard" or mostly common case family.

I recently learnt I can easily form .260rem from .243win. i have an interest in trying a .260 because it's taken my interest. Fortunately I have some .243 cases I've been hanging onto.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”