scope mounting

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

scope mounting

#1 Postby guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi all
when mounting a scope on a 20 moa base for F class shooting should the reticle be centered as normal mounting on a flat base or should it be off center? thanks for any help
Tony.

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:40 pm

It all comes down to what range your zero is.

The 20 MOA rail is just there to give you more elevation for distance, it just increases the range of your scope by the amount of taper you have .. in other words your scope has just gained 20 MOA of up travel.

You may find now that you cannot zero at 100m as the scope may not come down enough. Most tapered rails end up having a 200m or 300m minimum zero.

This does not stop basic ammo development at 100m as you just aim on the mark and your shots will group above it (2-3 inches)

The only people tapered rails can affect are those who use their rigs for varmint hunting also as the close ranges can be a problem because of the reversal tapered rails give.

Rule of thumb is that your scope should be as close to center of travel for your zero .. not always possible. This way the amount of up and down is about the same.

An example: My scope has 100 MOA of up down travel. I do not use a tapered rail. My zero is 100m and is about center of scope travel.

In other words i have around 55 MOA i can come up. If i had a 20 moa rail my zero would be about 1/4 of the scopes travel giving me 75 MOA of up travel. This would keep my cross hair adjustment about equal distance from the scopes center travel point from 300 to 1000 (approx)

Hope this makes some sence :lol:
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

rainbow

ring height for new scope?

#3 Postby rainbow » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:36 am

Hi all,
I'm a new shooter, and this is my first time on your site, hope someone out there can help me. Could someone please tell me, as i'm about to mount a 8.5-25x50 leupold onto a mab 44r actioned rifle, witha truflite s/s brl. What height rings do I need, medium or high 30mm rings ?...(am considering leupold-QRM's)

feedback would b appreciated

sss

AlanF

Re: ring height for new scope?

#4 Postby AlanF » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:43 am

rainbow wrote:...What height rings do I need, medium or high 30mm rings ...

sss,

Obviously, no-one can be sure without more information e.g. height and slope of scope "rail", barrel profile, length of lens shade etc. So if possible you should either get the rings on the understanding you can return them if the wrong height, or take your rifle and scope to a shop to have them fitted.

That said, I have a Leupold 6.5-20 x 50 with 6 inch lens shade, and QRW medium height mounts on a 20 minute tapered rail (Bernie Hawes) on an OMARK 44D with original barrel - there is plenty of clearance at the end of the lens shade. I would highly recommend the Leupold QRW rings - I have found them more reliable than Weavers or Warne Maxima.

Good luck with your rifle.

Alan

rainbow

#5 Postby rainbow » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:25 am

Thanks Alan.
Sorry,I forgot to mention the rail is a 20 moa tapered one. And because of where i live(regarding distance from suppliers and therefore the time taken for exchanges), i was hoping to get my purchase right the first time. So thank you very much for your help. I used the leupold web-site "scope-setup" feature, and apart from it not listing omark/mab rifles in it's list of options, i got a couple of recommendations to go medium or high . So you've made my mind up for me

VickiMcc

#6 Postby VickiMcc » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:58 pm

Talk to Peter from Pro Cal Trading, Our Sponsor on Homepage. Tell him what you want and he will most likely have it in stock, and you'll have it next day

Paul

pjifl

#7 Postby pjifl » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:46 am

Just a general comment about height of scopes on rifles.

For some reason, many people seem to think there is something more accurate about a low mounted scope.

I see no disadvantage to a high mounted scope. In fact I see advantages. All my scopes are very high mounted now and will be in future rifles.

The only consideration is if you want to cheek the butt snugly a higher cheek piece of pad may be needed. If you shoot free recoil this is a non issue anyway - in fact its better to have oodles of clearence.

There often comes a situation when a persdon needs to confirm their scopes accuracy by swapping with other known scopes (dont EVER assume a scope is perfect) and low mounts may preclude your trying some borrowed scopes for this test. You may also end up with a wider scope in the future.

The amount of taper is of course tied to the performance of the cartridge and projectile. For a high performance F Open rifle the ideal taper is more like 15 minutes. For a Std rifle its more like 25. If your scope has large range 20 is OK for both but if the range of the scope is limited (some are little more than 35 mins) this has to be thought out more carefully.

Peter Smith

Return to “Equipment & Technical”