Barrel Tunning a 556

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

richmac

barrel tunning a 556

#31 Postby richmac » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:59 pm

HI Keith
Running 65 inch lbs on V block
Cleaning GM top engine cleaner
also oil or hoppes left in during the week
If I can get a picture of the v block bedding
I will try and post it in this subject
Cheers Rich

RobH

#32 Postby RobH » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 am

Richmac.
Your problem could be copper fouling as you only use a carbon solvent and not a copper solvent. Try using sweets and see what happens. Did you go through a rigorous running in program?
Regards RobH.

peter t

Tension

#33 Postby peter t » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:29 am

Hi Keith
What is the correct tension to be applied to the holding down screws
on a vee bedding block in a Barnard action ???
Thanks
Peter T

pjifl

#34 Postby pjifl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:05 am

As suggested by others, check for Cu fouling. Fast twist barrels often build up Cu fouling much more than the slower twist ones.

On bedding under the barrel - this will be complex to do with no unevenness in conjunction with a V block which is intended for the action of another diameter. I reckon you are better off forgetting about it unless you want to experiment. If I was to bed under the barrel (which I dont like) I would go back to bedding compound.

Peter Smith.

richmac

Barrel Tunning a 556

#35 Postby richmac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks all for the input
I will get back to you all after the weekend.
I have two meeting on the weekend which could prove all theroys.
Once again thanks for the input
Rich

AlanF

#36 Postby AlanF » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:00 am

RobH wrote:...you only use a carbon solvent and not a copper solvent. Try using sweets and see what happens...

With GM Top Engine Cleaner, the patches come out blue if you leave it there for a while - but probably not as fast as Sweets.

Alan

Chopper

#37 Postby Chopper » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:06 pm

BEWARE as the gm cleaner is not to be used in a car less than 1:80 as it can do damage to the tank, what is it going to do to youre barrel out of the bottle ?????

KHGS

#38 Postby KHGS » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Richmac,
My comments are NOT theory, they are based on 30 + years of full time gunsmithing & practical trial & error.
Carburettor cleaner is not an effective copper solvent no matter what color it comes out, it is less effective than Hoppes on copper, very good on carbon. I much prefer Mercury Quicksilver for carbon removal though.
My opinions only & absolutely no offence intended.
Keith H.

For PeterT,
Vee block bedding screw tension should not be less than 65 in lbs. K.H.

richmac

barrel tunning a 556

#39 Postby richmac » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Richmac,
My comments are NOT theory, they are based on 30 + years of full time gunsmithing & practical trial & error

Keith
I have not question on your opinion...I respect all opinions for all people who have submitted there thoughts.
This is how we find out some of these little mysterys in the Target shooting movement.
Keep the suggestions rolling in....everyone will benefit.
I also am aware that GM Top engine cleaner is for carbon buildup.Now that I am using Danzac coated projectiles I am using a mix of 50/50 Kroil and T.E.C .
You may also get the non aerosol pak of Powertune in a plastic bottle which is easier to use
Regards Rich

AlanF

#40 Postby AlanF » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:38 pm

KHGS wrote:...Carburettor cleaner is not an effective copper solvent no matter what color it comes out, it is less effective than Hoppes on copper, very good on carbon. I much prefer Mercury Quicksilver for carbon removal though...

Keith,

My comment on GM TEC was more of an observation than a recommendation. Besides you can't get it anymore. I will try the Quicksilver, because your recommendations for removing fouling have worked well for me in the past.

Alan

KHGS

#41 Postby KHGS » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:45 pm

I actually prefer the aerosol version of Powertune, I use it with the applicator tube to apply it straight into the bore, then I bronze brush the bore & patch out. I then apply Short Scrub & leave overnight, patch out the next morning. To finish up I treat the bore with Lock-Eze on a nylon brush, dry out the chamber & put the rifle away till the next shoot.
Every 100 rounds or so I use Boretech Eliminator instead of SS just to make sure of complete copper removal & to clear up any moly fouling that may be present. You can still get copper fouling with moly & tungsten disulphide bullet coatings, but if cleaned correctly it is easy to remove without the need to use ammonia based solvents which, I feel is suspect in stainless steel barrels.
Keith H.

richmac

barrel tunning a 556

#42 Postby richmac » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:17 am

Hi Keith
Where do you get the Lock-Eze from here in Australia?
Rich

ned kelly

#43 Postby ned kelly » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:35 am

G'Day all,
just on the cleaner, I too use GMTEC with 50:50 penetrene mix.

If you look at the contents of GMTEC and compare to the contents of Shooters Choice you will see the active ingredients are the same so I do not believe a SS barrel will ever be effected.

It warning on its mix to fuel for cars probably came about with the use of plastic compenents in the modern cars fuel system.

It is a common belief, but I haven't proven it, but the inventor of GMTEC for GM and is a shooter who used the same basic formula to develope SC and sells it as such.......

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

VickiMcc

#44 Postby VickiMcc » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Ned
How do you obtain GMTEC, i believe that it is now discontinued by Holden

Paul

RAVEN

#45 Postby RAVEN » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:34 pm

richmac
Look into KG cleaning system Products as well :-$
Cheers