80 grn Nosler

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

richmac

80 grn Nosler

#1 Postby richmac » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi All :)
I am looking for info regarding the seating depth (jump) for the Nosler 80 grn 556 projectile..
The Sierra kisses the lands or some people give them 15 thou jump
The Nosler is slightly different and I was wondering if anyone here has loaded some up and what results they have had with them,also what loads are they using.
I am looking forward to the feedback.
Cheers Rich :lol: [/b]

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Richard

Trevor had a play with the Noslers on Saturday so having read you post, I managed to lure him out of the shed briefly with the offer of a cup of tea and some cake. Following is a brief summary of his observations which he said are very basic at this point.

Quoted from Trev:

Nosler ~ .55 thou smaller in diameter than Sierra, other dimensions don't appear any better or worse.
Nosler needs to be seated out approx 15 thou further to get same jump.

This testing was done with Lynn's old .223 rifle (well used barrel, 6000+ rounds), has 35 thou jump with projie held in case by about 50 thou.

Equipment: Oehler P35 Proof Chrono, 12ft from muzzle, 4ft between screens.

Conditions: rather ordinary with variable wind and enough mirage to make finding the centre point difficult.

Range: 600 yds

Load 1(Ref load): 80 gn Sierra, 25.5gn 2208, Fgm primer, Old Lapua cases (smaller intentionally), 26" barrel.
Gives: Ave vel - 2926, E/S - 29, S/D - 8.

Load 2: 80gn Nosler, 25gn 2208, Fgm primer, old lapua cases, 26" barrel.
Gives: Ave vel - 2840, E/S - 14, S/D - 5.

Load 3: 80gn Nosler, 25.5gn 2208, Fgm primer, old lapua cases, 26" barrel.
Gives: Ave vel - 2903, E/S - 22, S/D - 8.

Load 4: 80gn Nosler, 25.7gn 2208, Fgm primer, old lapua cases, 26" barrel.
Gives: Ave vel - 2918, E/S - 29, S/D - 11.

Disclaimer: These loads are safe in this rifle, please ensure safe load testing procedures are used at all times.

End of quote

Extra note: Trev said that he fired another 7 shots using the Noslers immediately after his 10+2 comp round and he felt they performed better, well at least they got him better scores, pity they didn't count, lol.

I hope this information is helpful Richard, obviously we will be doing more testing later looking for grouping, I can keep you informed if you like.

Lynn

richmac

Nosler 80grn

#3 Postby richmac » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi Lynn :D
Wow now thats what I call a good reply.
Thank you for this info
I shot some on Saturday at our range at 600 yards and I seated them the same as the Sierra projectiles (hence a huge jump)
I found that they shot quite consistant I tried them with 24.5 of 2206h,60% of the shoot was central bulls.
I will fine tune and have a play with the jump and the loads to see if they will tighten up the groups a little more. I will keep the forum updated if anything better happends
Cheers Richard :roll:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”