New Rifle V2

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Dermott

New Rifle V2

#1 Postby Dermott » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:55 pm

I posted a question re a new rifle to shoot f std about 15 mths ago. Had a a few drama's in my life since then and want to get back involved. I was looking at getting a Tikka Super Varmint in 223 back then to have a multi purpose rifle, do you think that this is still an option as it seems that F class has moved along some way since then and is now expensive to enter into with a rifle for hunting and target shooting not an option. Still looking at Savage but they dont seem to be sold anywhere any more in Vic. What would be the best sight to match to the rifle, looking to spent up to 2500 for the package. Is there much differance between a 1:8 twist and 1:9 twist over 1000 yards, i only have one shot at making the purchase and want to make sure that i dont make a mess of it. I have seen some awsome looking rifles on this site and just dont want to spend the money if you will not be competitive.

Iggy

#2 Postby Iggy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Dermott

I have entered F Class Std from the hunting angle and this will remain the approach I intend to take with all my subsequent rifles...primarily hunting rifles that can be used in F Class.

I have a Savage in .223 Remington with a 1:9 twist barrel. I went to my local gunshop and ordered the Savage. I currently use 69 gr Sierra Matchkings and limit myself to about 700 yards...after that the projectile runs out of legs very quickly. If you want to shoot .223 Rem out to 1000 yards you will need a 1:8 twist barrel to stabilise the 80 gr projectiles [selection from the VRA shop].

As for scopes, I already had a Burris 4~12 x 42 variable [bought in the USA about 25 years ago]. It is a very good hunting scope but does not have [nor can it be fitted] the finger adjustable turrets which are a must if shooting from 300 to 1000 yards in variable conditions. Constantly adjusting the turrets using a five cent piece is a bit of a trial. From what I have seen on this and other sites, a variable up the high 20's low 30's would be more useful for hunting and up to 1000 yard range work.

I believe the 2500 budget you have set yourself should buy a reasonably good rifle/scope combination that you can use for hunting/F Class. Have a look in the VRA shop [and other locations] for second hand target rifles as this also is a very good way to get started.

Hope this helps.
Iggy
Maffra VIC

Chopper

#3 Postby Chopper » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Ring geoff grenfell i believe he has a trued rem 700 with a brand new lawton 1-8 barrel fitted with scope rail and tracker stock 223cal, i think he wants around 1800, sounds like a good buy ,hope this helps.

VickiMcc

#4 Postby VickiMcc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:37 pm

Paul You forgot to give Geoff's ph no.

03 54413380

Paul Janzso

#5 Postby Paul Janzso » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi Dermot

I have a TIKKA TACTICAL 20 inch 1:8 barrel in 223 with a 20min rail that Geoff Grenfell has altered the throat so I could seat the 80gn Sierra MK's out a bit, I have used it for 1000 yard F Class and all ranges in between and it is a match winner. You will not go wrong with the Tikka Super Varmint.

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Dermott

#6 Postby Dermott » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Hello All,
Thank you for your feedback, do you think that the 24" barrell in the Tikka super varmint would be competitive, do you think that the throat would need to be altered and is there only two calibres in F std being .223 and .308. What are your thoughts on the Savage of any type. Sorry if the questions that i have asked are a little simple, but i am unfamiliar with shooting competitively. The rifle that i wish to shoot i would like to use for both hunting and F class and cannot afford one of each.
Cheers,
Derm

ogre6br

#7 Postby ogre6br » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:43 am

I'd get whichever of the Tikka Varmint models you can get the cheapest with the 24 inch S/S barrel and the 1:8 twist.

Then use the extra $$ saved from getting the "super" varmint model on getting someone like geoff to set the chamber to suit the 80's and fit a tapered rail to shoot shooting at 1K.
IMNHO the cheek piece on the super varmint stock isn't all that flash and thats all the real extras you get going for the super varmint over the varmint.
yes you get a factory rail but seeing geoff does rails for them- why not use one of his with opti-lock mounts and a quality scope- and have them fitted and matched to you and your needs, instead of getting factory and them prolly having to modify it to suit.

later
p

whippy

#8 Postby whippy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:35 am

dermott, i recently purchased a savage .223 model 12 this rifle has a s/s heavy barrell. it has a 1 in 7 twist and handles 80 gn projectiles at 800 mtrs. with no trouble at all. i purchased it through my local gun shop but had to wait awhile for it as supplies from savage are limited. nioa trading, the importers had all of theirs sold before they arrived in australia. i forgot to mention this rifle is right hand bolt with left hand port. i find it quite satisfactory. good luck
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

Dermott

#9 Postby Dermott » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:28 pm

Hello All
Was the Savage model the Precision Varmiter which i believe is a single shot, i think that this may be out of my price range by the time you put scope and rings on it as it is $1100 US by the Savage web site. Can you tell me if having a twist of 1:7 affects lighter bullets in flight as having 1;12 cannot handle a heavier round at distance. The Tikka looks the part and does have a magazine for varminting. Any ideas on what scope would suit either the Savage or the Tikka. Is F std predominantly .223 shooters and is this the way that you believe that it is heading.

Paul Janzso

#10 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:44 pm

Hi Dermott

I use 55gn projectiles for general shooting in my Tikka with the 1:8 barrel, they stabalize fine and stay together. Having the throat altered has made no difference to accuracy. I only use the Remington bulk projectiles.

Have a look at the Weaver variable scopes, I use a V 24 model, they have paralax adjustment which is quite precise and they have target turrets.
You will need a 20min rail as the Weaver will run out of adjustment at approx. 600 meters.

It seems a few people are using the 223 as oposed to the 308. But if for instance a Target shooter takes up F Class he or she will probably put a scope on there current target rifle they are using, and a big number of target shooters use 308.

Cheers
Paul
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

whippy

#11 Postby whippy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:24 pm

the savage model 12 i wrote about is ,
long range precision varminter with target accu-trigger. it is single shot and has an extra heavy free floating botton rifled 1 inch diameter barrel.recommended retail from savage is $1,116.00 us dollars. it cost me $1,975.00 au dollars. i have got a lynx ps20 x 42 (fc) sope on it. i find it all to be a very good unit. i have only shot 80gn smks out of it but i am led to believe that it will handle lighter projectiles without any difficulty. hope this is of some help.
SHOOT WELL & SHOOT TRUE

Dermott

#12 Postby Dermott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks Whippy & All,
I have been checking both the Tikka and Savage site out, still looking at the Tikka Varmint with 1:8 twist, 23 3/4" inch barrel and weight of 3.6kg. Also looking at Savage 12VLP 1:7, twist, 26" barrel and weight of 4.53kg. The long range precision varmint is 2 pounds heavier again and is only single shot where as the 12VLP holds 4 rounds and is probably more suited for me as a hunting gun as well, even though this will still be quite heavy by the time i fit a bi-pod and scope. Does anyone have any ideas on the preferances of the two stocks with the Tikka having the poly stock and the Tikka Laminated. I love doing the research and now just need to join a club. I dont believe that i will have the best rifle but will be able to enjoy both facets of the sport.
Thanks Again

Return to “Equipment & Technical”