Bugger

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Barossa_222

Re: Bugger

#16 Postby Barossa_222 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:49 pm

If it makes you feel any better I've watched FTR shooters pull 3 o'clock 4s. Plenty of high and low 5's to boot. All of what you are seeing is technique. The joys of FTR.

Brad Y

#17 Postby Brad Y » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:25 pm

Barossa_222 wrote:Lot's of gripping and jerking in WA FTR I hear . . . . . .

Now now, is this classed as pre state teams heckling or are we going to have to settle this somewhere east of both of us :lol:

pjifl

#18 Postby pjifl » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:59 am

Since we are dealing with very accurate rifles and picking up quite small changes, I will throw in a few things to ponder.

1/ In many cases, the rifle's precision is better that an eTarget 's precision. It is not uncommon for a few shots to have a significant error but the others are fine.

2/ You can never really analyze a shoot without knowing ALL sight settings. That includes wind settings.

Most of the comments are probably close to the mark but be careful about drawing conclusions.

Peter Smith

AlanF

#19 Postby AlanF » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 am

wsftr wrote:...I did get the wind call wrong for sure...that I can live with. I had to wait a minute or so as the wind was building...I sent it a touch too early...

I can't help feeling that this is a key part of the evidence! If conditions changed during that minute or so, this could explain everything. At 900yd a slight change of wind direction can cause exactly what happened to shot 10.

wsftr

#20 Postby wsftr » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 am

AlanF wrote:
wsftr wrote:...I did get the wind call wrong for sure...that I can live with. I had to wait a minute or so as the wind was building...I sent it a touch too early...

I can't help feeling that this is a key part of the evidence! If conditions changed during that minute or so, this could explain everything. At 900yd a slight change of wind direction can cause exactly what happened to shot 10.

Yeah I had considered that but - its in the less likely category for me.
At this range at a 1000 yards on manual marking (some years back) by coincidence a .308 and a 7mm fired at virtually the same instance - both shots went high and out of the group by about 3/4moa from memory. Next shots were back in the group no adjustments.

In the 900 yard for this shoot, conditions were left to right and varying in intensity and I was tracking them up and down within a range of 2moa (just because I wanted to..it was a club day). I think statistically I would eventually get caught with this strategy and shot 10 shows that. I don't think the conditions varied enough to throw the shot that low but it is mother nature so a possibility. However its not the first time with this setup I have had this happen.
I work hard on my mental game so I'm less inclined to last shot theories - but I am human.
The setup is different to my comp guns so I have an open mind on every ones feed back.

I should probably add - when I am testing a gun once my sighters are done I don't adjust vertical (only windage), sometimes this means the group forms up off centre as in the 1000 yard picture but it is a true representation of what the load and setup will do.

Tim L

#21 Postby Tim L » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 am

Stupid gun, if it hadn't shot 4 low there would have been no need to wind up for 5 :evil:
20210416_001649.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brad Y

#22 Postby Brad Y » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:19 pm

Can solve that problem for you Tim. If you turn your scope 90 degrees then it’s just the winds fault ;)

Tim L

#23 Postby Tim L » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:28 pm

Brad Y wrote:Can solve that problem for you Tim. If you turn your scope 90 degrees then it’s just the winds fault ;)

Hey Brad, You were spot on there. I couldn't be bothered spinning the scope, i just tipped the whole gun 90 degrees
Screenshot_20210417-232450_Samsung Internet.jpg

Stupid wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tim L on Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brad Y

#24 Postby Brad Y » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:24 am

Happy to help anytime

wsftr

#25 Postby wsftr » Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:26 am

Thought I would do a follow up. Here is a 1000 yard shoot. Interesting that at different distances I am throwing the odd shots into the same place - only with this rifle (the previous relay was fine), my match guns I don't see this behaviour. I am starting to think its setup related. I can't say I am really happy with the stock - its a little too short.

wsftr

#26 Postby wsftr » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:34 am

I think I may have a lead on this issue. In my case I'm not pursuing setup but something in the reloading room.
I might be wrong but I have put a fair bit of effort into tracing it down and it is only with this gun that I see this. In desperation and extreme curiosity I signed up to some sites where I have found the exact same issue - good grouping but a shot out at virtually the same location and with corresponding lower FPS.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”