To Moly or Not to Moly

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Winston

To Moly or Not to Moly

#1 Postby Winston » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi folks,

Picked up a couple of new barrels from Nev Madden and I'm really on the fence about whether to use moly pills in them or not. I don't have much experience with the stuff, but I'm drawn to the promise of much more infrequent cleaning (I shoot with some blokes who go 300 rounds or so between cleans).

There's a lot of conflicting stuff of the net so I thought I'd just ask the question - who here shoots moly and why/why not?

Thanks all,

Alex

johnk

Re: To Moly or Not to Moly

#2 Postby johnk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Winston wrote:I'm drawn to the promise of much more infrequent cleaning (I shoot with some blokes who go 300 rounds or so between cleans).

Not a great reason to moly - and I moly about everything that I shoot.

Carbon buildup in a rifle throat will happen (probably to the same degree) in a molied or bare barrel & needs some form of management. The risk that you have with moly is that if you don't have an acceptable regular cleaning regeime, then chances are that the carbon will hide under the moly.

I have a low impact cleaning procedure I use at the end of the day & a more rigorous one that I use before I put my rifle back in the safe, be that after one day or a week on the range. The daily clean leaves me with my first sighter a known angular distance from the MPI & the second in it, though I know that there are shooters who need more than 2 shots to condition a cleaned barrel & thus will shoot dirty throughout a full series.

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:01 am

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Winston,
I use moly in my target rifles,.308 Match Rifle and .308 FTR also in the .223.When I started,it sounded a good thing,so gave it a go,apart from having to apply the moly,I see no problems.I had my barrels inspected with a bore scope last year,compared to similar mileage barrels,but uncoated,the moly coated looks a lot better in the throat.
As far as cleaning goes,I am like John K,I clean every day and with the match rifle,clean at lunch time.
Mike.

Tim L

#5 Postby Tim L » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:07 pm

I just started to use moly and purely from the cleaning perspective.
I know I can turn up at a Queens and shoot 5 days without having to worry about cleaning and fouling.

Sorry Winston, but I've got to throw this one in too.

Since I spoke with Nick Williamson at Gemfields last year, I've been running one barrel, FTR, shooting purely 185s with HbN. It behaves in a similar manner to moly but needs more powder for a similar velocity. I went up 1.5gns from my naked load, got back on the same node and now shoot 300 (or thereabouts) rounds before polishing with KG. Once fouled, velocity from cold is well within the group range (no elevation issues from the first shot) and every time I've measured its been a single figure spread.

The only reason I don't use HbN in the other barrel is because I don't have room for the extra powder.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”