Barnard extractor

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Chris Burdett

Barnard extractor

#1 Postby Chris Burdett » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:08 pm

has anyone retro fitted a long extractor claw to a .308 non ejector boltface to use on .223? Barnard Mod.P If so how is it ? as this seems a cheaper way than a new bolt.
Chris B.

ned kelly

#2 Postby ned kelly » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:02 pm

G'Day Chris,
Bill Hallam in WA has done several to my knowledge with success. He recommended the same to me when I discussed the Barnard action as a basis of an FO rifle and still be able to shoot FS is I wanted.

Certainly cheaper than a new bolt..........

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

Paul Janzso

Barnard Extractors

#3 Postby Paul Janzso » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Hi Chris

I have been talking with Keith Hills about using the Magnum bolt and what other cartriges can be fed and extracted by changing just the extractor.
He has actually done the experiment with the magnum bolt and it will feed and extract 223, 308 and WSM cases by changing the extractors.

Cheers
pest bird
:shock:
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Chris Burdett

#4 Postby Chris Burdett » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:11 pm

Fanx Ned & Pest, you can see where this is heading, I have 4 barrels that go in and out so why not go 5 and it,ll be a .223. So what are your thoughts on barrel makes? Brass? primers?etal. I kno I kno decending into the shade.
Chris B.

ned kelly

#5 Postby ned kelly » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:16 am

G'Day Chris,
I've had personal experience with several Maddco's, Shilens and Harts. They're all excellent barrels. My .223 has a Truflight and it shoots better than I can drive it and I've heard only good words about kriegers which I'd like to use for my FO rifle project.

Any of the more common barrels in use will suit you i'm sure.

Brass.......well for me it's lapua. Many like Winchester and Rem but I have no experience using those brands in competition but I will say a comparision of neck wall thickness between lapua & Winchester .223 brass showed lapua to have a maximum variation of 1.5 thou or less per case and also as a maximum of a 40 odd case sample. Winchester on the other hand had 2.5thou variation across the same sample with several cases having the FULL variation from one side to the other. I figure its the quickest way to produce bullet run out.

The only way to get better is neck turning.

For a .223, 2208 powder and I use CCI450(?) small rifle magnum primers. There's plenty of load data fro a .223 in the forum to search for info and tips for loading and tuning .223's

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

Return to “Equipment & Technical”