Front rests

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#31 Postby AlanF » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:14 am

I think front rests, like many other pieces of equipment (e.g. scopes), are a matter of personal preference. What suits one will not suit another. And to say that one is better that the other is really only stating your own preference. For example I like my own pedestal rest because I modified and adjusted it until it suited my own needs, and now using any other rest, be it a bipod or pedestal, seems awkward.

As far as John's opinion that weight doesn't matter, I think like many other things it does make a difference. The question is does it make a big enough difference to matter. Possibly not for F-Std, but for 100yd BR when trying to get groups in the "0s", it probably does. For F-Open, when conditions are good, the most accurate rifle/setup usually wins, so you need every bit of help you can get - that is where the pedestal rest and maximising weight can in my opinion make a difference.

BTW congrats on the wins at Bacchus Marsh and Werribee John.

Alan

John E

#32 Postby John E » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 am

Alan,
my comments are confined to FSTD only. I don't shoot BR or FO, and I try not to comment on them.
FSTD comes in a package, with targets to suit the calibres and the gear available to be used, and in my opinion, any thoughts that one piece of gear is better than another, is simply a negative thought that a shooter doesn't need in his head ( in FSTD, of course ).
When it comes to pedestals and bipods, just have a look at the Victorian grading list and see what the top ranked shooters are using, and that must surely tell you that there is nothing in the argument.
Thanks for your congrats --- the weekend was enjoyable for all concerned, with the weather conditions being fickle enough to keep everyone in the hunt right to the last shot. The fields were small in both grades, but the competition was strong, particularly yesterday :lol: :lol:
I gave myself a good beating :lol: :lol: seeing as I was the only A grade entry.

John

Daniel

front rests

#33 Postby Daniel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Having shot F-open and point blank BR from both a Bald Eagle windage top and a Farley co-ax, personal opnion tells me that they are very capable from a bench. Sheer weight and the odd shape of the Farley makes it more of a hassle for the F- paddock. It is one of my better investments for BR though. The ability to keep machine-gunning while the wind is hanging around is great to have when shooting a right bolt, right port action. This extra speed isn't needed in the F- paddock as the target has to go up and down.
That said, the Bald Eagle served me very well for a number of years on a BR firing line, it's just that 0.7 of a second slower. The more compact shape of the "sligshot" frame makes it easier to fit in a vehicle and to carry in one's folded up mat.
Having been to all the trouble of making feet and longer screws to stop the rests from bellying out on lumps of grass, it's easier for me to have the 2" spikes on the front legs of a Bald Eagle with a speed screw closest the shooter to make elevation changes.

Disclaimer: personal opinion only, seek the advice of a "sound of mind" person before acting or investing.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”