Question for Cameron Mc or others

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

sixmill

Question for Cameron Mc or others

#1 Postby sixmill » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:39 pm

G,day,
Cameron, congrats on your recent win, I would like to know your thoughts on caliber choice for F open. I see your now shooting a 284 & your wife a 6.5x55 & 6br, as well as your previous calibers you've shot, which round would you consider the best compromise of performance, accuracy & barrel life?
I am currently building another rifle, solely for F-class & all i need is a barrel, I'm leaning toward a 6.5x55 or 260, i already have a 6br, however i could rechamber it for a varmint rifle & get another 6br barrel for F-class.
Any experiences & advice would be great,
cheers sixmill

Cameron Mc

#2 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Tough question. I always tell new shooters to go get a 6br, then learn how to shoot. The 6br has so much in its favour. Excellent brass, good range of quality projectiles, good barrel life, low recoil and most importantly....it is very accurate. If you want success in F Open you need very accurate rifles.

As for what is the best cartridge/compromise, I don't really know. This is why I like F Open. There are so many to choose from. Lean towards the ones that you see working for others. Don't get too caught up with all the info written on the net.

The bigger cartridges do help at the long ranges, but I have found there are downsides when compared to using the 6br. I used to play with wildcats but found it became too much like hard work. Ideally you want everything the 6br offers but better ballistics at the long ranges and or when conditions are really rough. In the last couple years I have tried, 6.5-284, 6.5x47, 6x47 and 284. 6.5-284 good accuracy but short barrel life. 6.5x47 mine was erratic and not quite accurate enough. 6x47 harder to get to accuracy level of 6br for a little gain in velocity. Currently 284 with great results. It was easy to find an accurate load and is pleasant to shoot. But it is early days, my barrel has done around 600 rounds. It will be interesting to know how long it will hold accuracy.I swap barrels in the same gun and only use the 284 at OPM's and Queens and then only when conditions are rough and longer ranges. If I can get around 2000rds I will stay with the 284.

Julie is using the old 6.5x47 barrel rechambered to 6.5x55. It shoots well but she is still learning how to shoot with more recoil.

These are just my thoughts and no doubt there will be many who disagree. The main thing is to keep things simple and concentrate on shooting technique and wind reading. Don't get bogged down with technicalities. Use the cartridge that works for you and work on your shooting.

Hope that makes some sense,
Cameron

Woody_rod

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:01 pm

Cameron,

Disagree? I think your post answers the question right down to the last word...

Cameron Mc

#4 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks Rod. Good to start with a positve responce.

Cameron

sixmill

#5 Postby sixmill » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:47 am

Thanks Cameron, it's good to pick the brain of someone who has real life experience with different calibers. Like you say, you can't believe everything on the internet.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”