.223 loads

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

#31 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:51 pm

I was hoping to shoot at the MDRA as well, but time is against me. I dont have a rifle to shoot, so that pretty well slows me down too :)

I will be at the long range championships though, and looking forward to the queens, and shooting with you guys. I wont be behind any bar - do that every weekend now....look forward to being a prop for the bar.

littlebang556

223 Amax ???

#32 Postby littlebang556 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Are the Amax really going to make that much difference?

A small win for us 223 fanatics was had by myself on the weekend. Shooting against 308's I managed a 5th badge in a field of 50+ shooters which included a 75.10 55VVV55VV5VVVVV @ 800m. One could say the conditions were a tad adverse with a few stopages for rain and had I not fired 3 x bad shots I could have had 3rd. But I will show no shame in being out shot by the likes of Garry Craigie and Grey Robertson and the experience of 96 Queens shoots from Graeme Gribble.

The sierra is an awesome projectile and should the Amax indeed prove to be superior I doubt that I would have the skill to obtain the better results so widely expected. The difference therefore (my belief) will be negligable unless one intends to shoot beyond 1000y/m where one would expect velocities to dip below 1000fps.

ozfarm

#33 Postby ozfarm » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:19 pm

a tad adverse????

little bit of light rain,no wind,mirage, adverse?
had to unseize my wind arm when i got home 8)
ya big sook :lol:

was watching with interest the .223 players, mulling , to join the dark side 8)

littlebang556

223 Loads

#34 Postby littlebang556 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:39 pm

Had to unseize your wind arm...If you had have used your wind arm RP you may have got a few V's....sure there wasn't much but many top shots scored outers because they didn't touch the wind arm.

As for being a sook...well there was the bit where I had to drink a can of Rasberry voldka for that Paris Hilton thing so maybe I was wearing knickers instead of jocks.

Cheers

Rob

P.S. I understand "tad" to have an opposite meaning than "extremely."
And there is only one small hole that I have that is dark...hehe.

ozfarm

Re: 223 Loads

#35 Postby ozfarm » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:25 am

littlebang556 wrote:Had to unseize your wind arm...If you had have used your wind arm RP you may have got a few V's....sure there wasn't much but many top shots scored outers because they didn't touch the wind arm.

As for being a sook...well there was the bit where I had to drink a can of Rasberry voldka for that Paris Hilton thing so maybe I was wearing knickers instead of jocks.

Cheers

Rob

P.S. I understand "tad" to have an opposite meaning than "extremely."
And there is only one small hole that I have that is dark...hehe.

i did get lots of v-bulls

well, they were when they left my end :lol: marker didnt seem to be able to find em 8)

Gunnie

#36 Postby Gunnie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Gents,

I have been reading this post with some interest as I have recently purchased a Savage LE10fp in 223 with a view to trying FS. At this moment in time I will leave my Savage Tac Elite in 308, to get some semblance of ability in shooting the longer ranges. By this I mean I am a total newchum tio this sport and have a hell of a lot to learn.

I have yet to even fire a shot through the new 223, let alone even think of starting barrel run in. I have a quantity of factory loaded 69gn BTHP ammo which I figured might be a good start for the run in process.

From there I planned to purchase a box of Norma Custom brass, some 69gn SMK and reload with BR primers and AR2206H. This is all subject to advice from you learned folk.

What I'd like help with is how to go about working out what is the sweet load for my rifle. Though I have been reloading for my various rifles for the last 15yrs or more, I have only ever selected a load based on the projectile chosen and then sighted the rifle to that load.

On occassion I have hit it lucky with a load that the rifle loved, but I'm not expert on load developement. My 308 Savage is a case, it loves 168gn BTHP Hornadys over 43.6gns of AR2206. It will put 3rds into 11mm extreme spread at 100M.

So gents, I throw myself at your mercy seeking help as to how to go about working up a 'sweet' load for my rifle. Thanks in advance.

Woody_rod

#37 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:47 pm

Mate,

Probably need more info on your rifle for the 223R. Such as twist rate of the barrel etc.

The 69 grains from my limited experience, and from what I have read on this board and others, gives good results up to about 600y. Past that, they start to get a bit wayward.

The 80 grain bullets available now for the 223 through the NRAA for use in F class etc (Nosler, Sierra and A-max) are good out to 1000y, but use a faster twist rate than most hunting or non-specific long range target rifles. You will need a twist rate in the vicinity of 1 in 8 to use these bullets.

One other issue, is that the barrel needs to be chambered to suit the much longer 80 grain projectile.

I cant suggest a load for the 69 grain, as I have never loaded for them.

Gunnie

#38 Postby Gunnie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:15 pm

Rod,

it's a standard Savage rifle from the Tactical range with a 24" heavy profile barrel. The twist rate is 1:9, so the 80gn pills wil be out for me.

But I'll be happy to shoot out to 600/800 with this rifle. I have a 308 I can use for the longer ranges.

Woody_rod

#39 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:28 am

Gunnie,

Good luck with your rifle. You will find some issues with the small projectile at longer ranges, but as long as you are shooting, that is the main thing.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”