Starting out

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Happyhour

Starting out

#1 Postby Happyhour » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:55 pm

I'm wanting to do F-Class Shooting and not sure on what rifle or scope I should be getting, what is recommended, is the HOWA
1500 BRAVO LONG RANGE, any good, and what about scope.

macguru

Re: Starting out

#2 Postby macguru » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:05 pm

That would be good for sporter/hunter std (308) or open (eg 6.5 creedmore) try and get a scope that goes up to at least 24x. I am not sure if any production rifle will be competitive in f class, although someone will probably have a counter example to that. All of the rifles i see scoring well at competitions (FA or Fopen) are custom built. Once you make contact with a gunsmith you will save money by getting good gear but you can still have fun with a multi purpose rig like that howa seems to be.
id quod est

Rich4

#3 Postby Rich4 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:55 am

If it’s the 26” model I actually recommended it to a person at our club as in 308 it’s a ground level Fstd rig, in 6.5 creedmoor it’s a no disgrace club gun/prs style rig, starting out from scratch on a budget if I had my chance I’d buy a great scope and fudge on the rifle, as Macguru said if you become addicted there’ll be a custom rig in your future, and while sun degrades coatings and adjustments wear out, the lifespan of optics is longer than barrels

macguru

#4 Postby macguru » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:04 pm

If you get the 308 then you could try f std B grade as well as sporter/hunter std with the same rig. plus one on getting good optics, maybe 30x at least if your gonna try f class. The 308 would be the go. If you get a 6.5 and wanted to try f open it would be discouraging .... they are all custom rigs.
id quod est

Brett.44

#5 Postby Brett.44 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Is there any brand of 24 power scope you would recommend?

Mozzie

#6 Postby Mozzie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Happyhour
Great question.
I started with a Howa 26" barreled action in 6.5 Creedmoor $ 499
Put it in a GRS kelbly X eater stock and spent good money on my scope with a night force competition ( can be transfered to any rifle in future builds or sold and still get very good price, don't skimp on optics if funds allow)
I shot this at club level and loved it, after 1 year of shooting and saving my pennies I put a Bartlien barrel on it and got it bedded by a gunsmith.
I have now shot this rifle for 2 years with fantastic results.
I have now put 2000 rounds and nearly worn out the barrel so I'm getting it rebarreled as as .284.
Howa gives you options of getting into F class shooting whilst saving money on the rifle itself, it allows you to spend money in other areas such as scope and reloading gear.
Going down this track allowed me to cut my teeth and start to learn the what, where,how and why's whilst enjoying the shooting.
Don't get me wrong, the Howa will have its limitations, but it will take you a couple of years of club shooting to find them, then you will be in better position to make and spend on what you need to take your shooting experience to a new level.
Cheers
Mozzie
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

macguru

#7 Postby macguru » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm

I have a nightforce comp on my f open gun. it was 2.5k but now they are over 3 grand
i have a nightforce nxs 8-32 with 1/8 clicks . it was just over 2 grand
i have a vortex diamondback ffp 6x24 it was just over 600 bucks

For s/h or prs, the vortex is good. For f class the comp is the best. But I think the nxs is a good all rounder and your not skimping on quality. clearer image than the vortex. more magnification. not ffp but that does not matter for our shooting. I am only talking about what i have now, there are other good brands out there too.
Last edited by macguru on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
id quod est

Gyro

#8 Postby Gyro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:06 pm

Well said Mozzie, especially the part about spending good money on some optics because u can transfer the scope to the next rifle. BUT I would totally recommend a newbie to start with the likes of a 6.5 creedmore ( if not taking the very desirable 308 route ) because a cartridge like that will not have the greater recoil of say a 284 choice and thus will be a lot friendlier and easier to shoot well with.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”