6 br additional calibre

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

Re: 6 br additional calibre

#31 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 am

sungazer,
you would not need a new gun, just a new barrel.
this could happen when the old barrel is worn out.
all the guys who use a bench in our club might not otherwise shoot, and gain no real advantage doing so over shooting from the ground.
we are glad to see them there and welcome them.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

williada

#32 Postby williada » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:17 am

I'm with Sungazer on this one. If people want change, go to FOpen. Rather see a grading system introduced to FOpen than too many changes in TR or FS. Then then market would then decide over time just as the use .223's in TR and FS have fallen away except for beginners and old folk who are learning or just want to participate. I would like to see the battle of the master shots with 155's continue as a tradition then the greats can be compared over time. Its valuable and meaningful history where identity is not lost.

In regards to FO which is growing at home,, it is becoming standardised too through competitive results. The storming period is almost gone as to what setup is best. Everyone will move to that because they will get consistently flogged otherwise. Let them waste their money and time trying to prove otherwise. If there is any reflected glory to be had by lesser performance, and a grading system is not considered in the future, then I'm sure people would rather be seen with gear which has progressed beyond flavour of the month despite the marketing campaigns of suppliers.

Tim L

#33 Postby Tim L » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:27 am

bruce moulds wrote:certainly name change is worthy of consideration, when one realizes that people are staying away from nraa due to the belief that it is connected to nra usa. period.
bullet tax is just another way for the nraa to avoid the elephant in the room that they need money to promote our disciplines, and the only real way to get it is to focus on raising it in a more practical manner.
bruce.

Is there any evidence to support that Bruce?
I've seen nothing, saying the name keeps anyone away, but plenty that says even the media know the organisations are in no way linked

bobeager

#34 Postby bobeager » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 pm

An ideal candidate for an F Open SUB CLASS. Just made for the likes of myself who can no longer take the recoil or the $'s presented by the 7mm Magnums.

22BR / 6mmBR. Same weight & Specs as FTR, shot off a Bi - Pod.

I would call it FO/FO (F Open for Old Farts) could even have its own logo styled after ABBA.

Joke or Serious ? You decide

Barossa_222

#35 Postby Barossa_222 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:35 pm

I've been pretty crook, so maybe this whole post is just an illusion due to the drugs . . . . . . .

UL1700

#36 Postby UL1700 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:25 pm

bobeager wrote:An ideal candidate for an F Open SUB CLASS. Just made for the likes of myself who can no longer take the recoil or the $'s presented by the 7mm Magnums.

Come on Rob you know your stocks love a heavy SAUM :D

ImageSophie with her 7mm SAUM by James Elphick, on Flickr

Tim N

#37 Postby Tim N » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:21 pm

bobeager wrote:An ideal candidate for an F Open SUB CLASS. Just made for the likes of myself who can no longer take the recoil or the $'s presented by the 7mm Magnums.

22BR / 6mmBR. Same weight & Specs as FTR, shot off a Bi - Pod.

I would call it FO/FO (F Open for Old Farts) could even have its own logo styled after ABBA.

Joke or Serious ? You decide

I too have thought a 6mm or sub 7mm class would be great fun, only issue I can see is there’s simply not enough of us.
Or could we include a 6mm class with a 5 point (or a % calculated) head start for a Queens??
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

ben_g

#38 Postby ben_g » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 pm

I like the idea of the 5 point headstart Tim :D :D

I used my 6mm for ACT last year and was 3 points off the winner. In fact could we apply the rule retrospectively please :lol:

bobeager

#39 Postby bobeager » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:38 am

My previous post was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. However

1. A bit of history. I believe that some years back, the Late Clem Payne from the Canberra RC made an approach to the NRAA to have the 6mmBR adopted as a standard cartridge. It did not happen

2. The advent of the new Berger .224 85.5 grain Hybrid announced this week, may solve the issue of the 5.56 NATO / .223 REM not being perceived as competitive. A simple inclusion of this projectile to the approved list - Done.

See discussion here http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread ... t.3988945/

sungazer

#40 Postby sungazer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:26 am

Bob it is already included by the nature of the Rule for approved projectiles
Appendix 1
Any projectile to maximum weight of 91 grains

Why the 308 cant be written in the same way I don't understand. I think Lapua should take the NRAA to court on the basis of restriction of trade or Discrimination as should Hornady. I thought I did see a document allowing one or more of the Hornady projectiles nut dont see them in the SSR 6.c

Barossa_222

#41 Postby Barossa_222 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Why is the 223 not considered competitive? Just because people don't understand how to load or set up the guns to a competitive level should not be the consideration for bringing another cartridge in. I've seen very accurate and competitive 223s in FTR. The new Berger projectile will change nothing.

Tim L

#42 Postby Tim L » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Barossa_222 wrote:Why is the 223 not considered competitive? Just because people don't understand how to load or set up the guns to a competitive level should not be the consideration for bringing another cartridge in. I've seen very accurate and competitive 223s in FTR. The new Berger projectile will change nothing.

Look at Jim Blomfield's F Std results over the last decade or so. All done with 223 and off a bipod.

Matt P

#43 Postby Matt P » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:19 pm

With the current bullets available to 308 shooters IMO the 223 isn't competitive past 700. There will be the odd barrel/shooter combo that does well but it's the exception not the rule.
The 223 with heavy bullets can be a PITA to get to work at the longer ranges. I shot a 223 in FS for a while and back to 600 I was on the same footing as the 308 but past that in rougher conditions I was definitely behind the 308.
Maybe a 22BR would be a better option but it comes with other issues (no factory brass, etc, etc).
Matt P

bruce moulds

#44 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:49 pm

getting back to the original post, we must ask one question.
what is best for the future of the sport?
not, what do I want now.?
what are all the positives of going to 6br, vs all the negatives.
the bottom line is whether or not it causes the sport to increase.
and the question raised by the original question is, if the 6br will help, will another calibre/calibres help more?
where does tradition start? everyone has an answer that suits themselves.
will the nraa promote this or will they do nothing as they always have done?
one thing is for sure. doing the same thing and expecting a different result is doomed to failure.
probably this is not a subject that should have been raised, and is yet another attempt to avoid the real issues facing long range shooting.
professional promotion and the way to finance this is STILL not being addressed, and should be top of the agenda.
the name change paper is very important because many public still relate us to nrausa.
I myself have had parents not allow me to take their kids to the range for this reason.
nraa people claim that the media does understand the difference, and maybe so, but it has not got through to the general public.
if our name was "long range target shooting aust," every time it was mentioned it would be free promotion of what we do.
and it could all start with a press release statement of name change.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Tim L

#45 Postby Tim L » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:39 pm

bruce moulds wrote:getting back to the original post, we must ask one question.
what is best for the future of the sport?
not, what do I want now.?
what are all the positives of going to 6br, vs all the negatives.
the bottom line is whether or not it causes the sport to increase.
and the question raised by the original question is, if the 6br will help, will another calibre/calibres help more?
where does tradition start? everyone has an answer that suits themselves.
will the nraa promote this or will they do nothing as they always have done?
one thing is for sure. doing the same thing and expecting a different result is doomed to failure.
probably this is not a subject that should have been raised, and is yet another attempt to avoid the real issues facing long range shooting.
professional promotion and the way to finance this is STILL not being addressed, and should be top of the agenda.
the name change paper is very important because many public still relate us to nrausa.
I myself have had parents not allow me to take their kids to the range for this reason.
nraa people claim that the media does understand the difference, and maybe so, but it has not got through to the general public.
if our name was "long range target shooting aust," every time it was mentioned it would be free promotion of what we do.
and it could all start with a press release statement of name change.
bruce.

Bruce,

The tradition of shooting in Aus starts with it (and a shooting club) being the oldest sporting institution in the country.

The whole point of the 6BR discussion is to get feedback on whether it will benefit the sport.

The NRAA are the ones asking for freedback on the 6BR proposal, which came from State level. So they already aren't doing nothing.

They aren't sticking to the same thing, the stragic plan is out, as is the new Members update that highlights action so far as well as some future plans. Both would be worth a read.

Addressing finance IS being looked at, it started with the ammo survey and has moved on to options of either flat per head increase in membership fees or extending bullet levy to other bullets.

The name change is also already being looked at with a number of possible options as well as discussion papers being published highlighting the pros and cons of adopting the change.

A paper regarding press relationships has also been published. It highlights the difficulties of getting info to print. (Editors do still exist and they are the ones who choose what gets in and what doesnt. Not the NRAA board). Establishing closer relationships and more frequent contact with media outlets is already happening.

If this info isn't getting to you, you might want to ask your S or T why not because it is all out there, in detail, and doing the rounds.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”