Life of Barrels

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

KHGS

Re: Life of Barrels

#16 Postby KHGS » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks for your time and insights, with the 60’ chamfer how deep is it? I had thought a knife edge crown was desirable and had heard about the chamfer but at what depth does it become the crown proper and is that for pure accuracy or longevity of the crown? Thanks regards Rich[/quote]

The depth of the chamfer is not critical, but I suggest not less than .020". Flat crowns deliver the same levels of accuracy as the chamfered crown.........while they last, they are subject to cleaning rod damage whereas the chamfer crown with a modicum of care will last the life of the barrel.
Keith H.

Frank Green

Re: Life of Barrels

#17 Postby Frank Green » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:15 pm

What Keith said!

I go deep enough on the chamfer basically to make sure I clean up the grooves etc.....

What's nice is also if you should ding the edge of the crown you can just cut the chamfer a tad deeper to clean it up and you don't necessarily have to reface/change the length of the barrel.

It's also interesting that all of the Gov't test barrel prints regardless of caliber as well as pressure barrel drawings or accuracy barrel drawings....they all call out the chamfer on the muzzles crown. I have drawings that go back to the 50's.

Ever look at a 1903 Springfield barrel or M1 Garand barrel etc...they all have the chamfer as well.

I think someone figured out something years ago on this!

Later, Frank

Return to “Equipment & Technical”