New ultrasonic cleaner required

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

New ultrasonic cleaner required

#1 Postby BATattack » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:48 pm

Howdy all!

I'm in the market for a new ultrasonic cleaner after the last jaycar one gave up the ghost. I found that I needed to place the cases in 2 batches, vertical directly over the transducers to get even cleaning.

I sometimes clean large batches of brass so I'm looking for something that is a bit better than the average jaycar cleaner that has a decent duty cycle and has mutiple/ effective transducers to evenly clean brass. Ideally I'd like to do batches of 100 SAUM cases and during use I may do 5-600 in a week after work.

saum2

Re: New ultrasonic cleaner required

#2 Postby saum2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Do you know any Dental nurses? My Daughter got me one from the practice where she worked that was to be thrown out. It works perfectly doing over 100 pieces at a time. It can clean 100 every 15 minutes if you can keep up with it.

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:04 pm

I don't know about the quality, but supercheap have a 2L one for just over a hundred bucks.

Julian D

#4 Postby Julian D » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:30 pm

I have a Hornady one , and I think all the rave reviews on youtube are a crock of sh#t , also got the Hornady cleaner with it , and the amount of effort & time involved to clean a small amount of cases is not worth it .

Currently using a tumbler , set & forget with a decent media , although I think those water proof tumbler's with stainless media & a soapy detergent look to be the go .

Just my opinion .....

DenisA

#5 Postby DenisA » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Julian D wrote: although I think those water proof tumbler's with stainless media & a soapy detergent look to be the go .

I've been tempted to go down the stainless tumbler path, but I was turned off by hearing people say that the pins peen the case mouths.

BATattack

#6 Postby BATattack » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:50 pm

Rebel105 wrote:Do you know any Dental nurses? My Daughter got me one from the practice where she worked that was to be thrown out. It works perfectly doing over 100 pieces at a time. It can clean 100 every 15 minutes if you can keep up with it.

I might do. . . . . Not sure if if I want to hear that "why didn't you call me" speech though! Haha

what's your daughters number again? JOKING!! ;-)

What brand is it? I just found mine cleaned really unevenly until I had all the cases orientated the same way and in exactly the rite position in the tank.

BATattack

#7 Postby BATattack » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:55 pm

DenisA wrote:
Julian D wrote: although I think those water proof tumbler's with stainless media & a soapy detergent look to be the go .

I've been tempted to go down the stainless tumbler path, but I was turned off by hearing people say that the pins peen the case mouths.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. They seem to get some amazingly shiny brass but I don't know how nice neck turned brass would turn out.

ecomeat

#8 Postby ecomeat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:51 pm

Adam, I have since "moved on" very happily to a Thumler Tumbler Model B, but about 4 years ago I bought a brilliant uLtrasonic cleaner off eBay, from a Chinese guy based in Brisbane. I am sure his adds are still there. 6 litres, stainless steel basket, drain tap, adjustable temperature and adjustable timer. I used to do 100 x 284 Win cases easily in a batch, using Wild Dogs Vinegar/water/Shower Power mixture that he put me on to. Postage was free ex Brisbane as part of the eBay deal. Mine was about $220 delivered and is seriously well made and effective. If you lived a bit closer I would try and sell you mine :D
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Tim N

#9 Postby Tim N » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:27 am

Hey Tony,
What was your reason for "moving on"?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

ecomeat

#10 Postby ecomeat » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:11 am

Tim N wrote:Hey Tony,
What was your reason for "moving on"?

I didn't drain one batch properly, and had some serious acid staining take place on the cases. With the Ultrasound, and after using the very effective vinegar/water/Shower Power mix, I used to have to do multiple rinses to get rid of the acid risk. It got to be a bit of a PITA.
With the Thumler Tumbler and stainless steel pins, there is zero chemical....just a dash of dish washing liquid, as the pins do the work. All I do is a single quick clean water rinse making sure all pins stay in the Tumbler, then dry the cases on my nail board.
For what it's worth, I have NEVER had any issues with peening of the case mouths or neck using the stainless pins. It simply is not an issue. I assume I just got lucky with my original decision on "how many cases and how much water" per load, but I have never seen any visible peening on a case. I turn my 284 cases to 0.013". I only ever did one batch of 223 cases that were neck turned to 0.0085" (before sacking the calibre) but had no visible peening with them either.
I think the peening "thing" is a great big furphy :D
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

DaveMc

#11 Postby DaveMc » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 am

ecomeat wrote:
Tim N wrote:Hey Tony,
I think the peening "thing" is a great big furphy :D

Well actually that came from Marty and I. :shock:

The peening is real. I will say that Shanes Thumbler Tumbler is better than my original in it rotates a little slower and does less "peening". 2 hours in his and with decent neck clearance the issue is a non event - especially if you mandrel after the fact - but even without it is hardly measurable.

4 hours in mine and Martys rounds would not chamber in his rifle. My cases needed mandreling turning and deburring again.
This is real and quite measurable and something you need to keep an eye on but with a Thumblers, 2 hours and decent neck clearance you will have less issues.

In my opinion after playing a lot with both and we have the Thumbler running all day here - I would not go any other way. Brilliant job, tip em in set a timer and come back and done - like new.

DenisA

#12 Postby DenisA » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:46 am

In my U/S cleaner I use Birchwood Casey Case cleaner and a squirt of dish washing liquid. Its extremely gentle on cases, only needs a quick rinse, gets rid of all carbon deposits, each batch of solution lasts well, and doesn't stink like vinegar solutions.

If you keep the solution fresh, the cases come out bright. If you let the solution get a little old they're a little dull, but the carbon is still removed.

budget

#13 Postby budget » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:38 am

i would like to also push for the stainless pins,timing is everything.i clean 100 cases 80% full, 1 1/2 hours and hot water.
little to no damage to the case mouth.
and eco,i have tried the nail board and found that after a good rince lay them out on a beach towel and roll them around to dry them off and prevent staining and leave out in the sun is the go.
regards paul.

Josh Cox

#14 Postby Josh Cox » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:01 am

I have both ultrasonic and pin tumbler, I'd recommend the pin tumbler.

My pin tumbler is the large Lortone unit, given my purchase again, I would buy the Thumbler. ( the Lortone has a rubber can, if you use hot water the can warps and the lid will not seal, ask me how I know this :) ).

Two hours seems about the right amount of time, I would definitely chamfer after each tumble.

BATattack

#15 Postby BATattack » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:26 pm

I'm hearing you about the stainless tumbler but I'm still on the fence over the peening issues..

Sounds like the fill ratio between cases and pins to a given tumbler size is fairly critical. Is there any ballpark figure to work towards that may prevent damaging brass.

I would really only use it prior to sizing so any eccentricity would hopefully be sized out.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”